Comments

ReplicantX wrote on 12/18/2017, 6:53 AM

From what I've discovered, Music Master overrides the computer's audio and the only way to listen to anything else is to first close MM and then refresh/reload or close/re-open the other application.

johnebaker wrote on 12/18/2017, 11:44 AM

Hi

@ReplicantX . . . . From what I've discovered, Music Master overrides the computer's audio and the only way to listen to anything else is to first close MM and then refresh/reload or close/re-open the other application. . . . .

This is a work around and may have to be done every time MMM is opened.

The issue has been raised many times in the forum and is usually caused by the sound card not supporting ASIO drivers, when no audio from MMM is heard, or where ASIO is supported MMM locking out other programs access to the audio card.

There are 2 fixes:

1. Setting the correct audio drivers in the programs settings tab see image below.

2. Installing and using ASIO4All as the audio driver in MMM - this is particularly beneficial if a MIDI keyboard is being used to control an instrument in the program and latency occurs.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

ReplicantX wrote on 12/18/2017, 2:10 PM

Thanks for the help, John. I'll look into that.

Btw, is there a FAQ somewhere? I don't see one stickied.

browj2 wrote on 12/18/2017, 6:20 PM

@ReplicantX

No, unfortunately, but there is a manual. You should read the first part, especially Quick Start.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

DanTheMan wrote on 12/27/2017, 4:04 AM

@ReplicantX: thanks for raising this issue as I observed the same problem.

@johnebaker: your comment helped a lot by explaining the issue. I connected an USB audio interface (Behringer UMC204HD) and now it works better with less latency.

@browj2: regarding the manual, where is it available online? I only found video tutorials on magix.com (my product "Music Maker Premium" is not even listed there).

Edit:

Just figured that I can download the manuals from the service area after logging in with my account. Then I go to "My Account > My Products" and there I can download the manuals for all products I had registered.

Finally I also found the FAQ which answers this audio question (at least in the German version of the FAQ):

German: https://support2.magix.com/customer/de/customer_faq

English: https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/customer_faq

Barb-Marik wrote on 12/21/2018, 9:01 PM

IT IS RIDICULOUS to suggest that users should use a 3rd party audio driver from an insecure website to patch Music Maker. THE MAKERS of MMM SHOULD BE FOLLOWING MICROSOFT'S REQUIREMENTS AND NOT LOCKING THE REALTEK AUDIO DRIVER FROM USE BY OTHER APPLICATIONS!! This company should take the time to fix this problem instead of putting the onus on users to fix a problem that they created. I should not have to close out MMM to use Movie Studio or YouTube or anything else that require the use of the same audio driver!

emmrecs wrote on 12/22/2018, 3:50 AM

@Barb-Marik

Welcome to the Magix forums.

First, I understand you are "annoyed" by this issue but posting IN CAPITALS is viewed as shouting and is likely to be ignored so please don't do it!

Second, you wrote

THE MAKERS of MMM SHOULD BE FOLLOWING MICROSOFT'S REQUIREMENTS AND NOT LOCKING THE REALTEK AUDIO DRIVER FROM USE BY OTHER APPLICATIONS!!

This is absolutely nothing to do with "the makers of MMM". For reasons of smoother playback, minimised latency, sound quality, etc., etc.., Magix choose to use ASIO as their driver model, entirely correctly in my opinion. Unfortunately, Steinberg, who devised the ASIO system, only ever envisaged it as needing to handle one input source at a time. So, this lack of access to other sound sources is a limitation of the ASIO specification and not something that anyone can bypass if they wish to use an ASIO driver.

Use of ASIO4All is a possible "answer" to the problem, since it uses the MME Windows Drivers, which true ASIO completely bypasses, and can, under certain circumstances, allow more than one sound source to be used simultaneously. However, it is not guaranteed to work for everyone in this scenario.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 12/22/2018, 3:51 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Barb-Marik wrote on 12/22/2018, 7:16 AM

Thanks for responding Jeff. I was yelling which is why I used capitals ;) . With regards to the driver model, it is not good programming to design an application that is not compliant with the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) functionality. A driver should never bypass the operating system and go straight to the hardware. It results in failure on the operating system to properly do its job and act as the mediator for hardware usage. I realize that this introduces latency however, it would only be a problem when you are compiling, which then could be countered by closing the other applications that are using the audio resources (if you even need to do this—some people have computers that can handle the processing). The problem with Music Maker is that as soon as you play a track, just one track, it locks the audio hardware and Movie Studio and other applications won’t play sound. The problem is not exclusive to ASIO either. The other driver options on Music Maker are problematic. Both the Wave Driver and Direct Driver choices do not function properly. They can be linked to the hardware on my machine, but Direct Driver won’t play sound and the Wave Driver also monopolizes the audio hardware. So, based on that, it’s a Music Maker programming problem.

johnebaker wrote on 12/22/2018, 8:15 AM

@Barb-Marik

Hi

. . . . A driver should never bypass the operating system and go straight to the hardware. . . . use a 3rd party audio driver from an insecure website to patch Music Maker

It does and that is how Windows/hardware drivers can be designed to minimise things like Latency. See this article for the reasons why direct access for ASIO is preferable with some audio devices. ASIO4All is a very respected software driver, the article also explains why very few audio card/chipset manufacturers create their own ASIO drivers

. . . . The problem with Music Maker is that as soon as you play a track, just one track, it locks the audio hardware . . .

That is, as Jeff has stated, because Steinberg deigned the ASIO driver that way and it became 'the standard' to get low latency with audio devices.

. . . . Both the Wave Driver and Direct Driver choices do not function properly. They can be linked to the hardware on my machine, but Direct Driver won’t play sound and the Wave Driver also monopolizes the audio hardware . . .

This is not a Magix problem, this is a Windows issue.

. . . . So, based on that, it’s a Music Maker programming problem . . . .

No - it is a problem caused by Windows drivers, Direct X and WDM, not being of sufficient low latency for audio work. The ASIO method of connecting to hardware became 'the standard' and the momentum from this, that has developed over the years, is very difficult to overcome.

The introduction of Windows 10 has rendered a lot of legacy software unusable, the same would happen to legacy hardware if the 'standard' audio drivers were replaced with a new standard. It is happening, slowly, Microsoft through Windows 10, is introducing a new driver model (DCHU).

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 12/22/2018, 9:13 AM

I can't say I understand why internal audio fails but with an external audio interface everything is fine but getting an external audio interface is a solution. There are cheap options, perhaps not available everywhere, like the Behringer interfaces. My interface is an old Edirol one which, although it doesn't have Windows 10 drivers, can be made to work with the Windows 7 drivers.

Certainly there are reports of similar problems with other programs. I read FLStudio with ASIO4All has the same problem. The FLStudio ASIO driver is much better for using multiple programs. It seems OK with Music Maker and internal audio although I've only tested briefly.