amplify a very weak sound with sound forge pro 15

flo-l wrote on 1/28/2022, 12:09 AM

Hi,

I need to amplify a very low sound (phone sound meter app puts it at around 10db/20db) with sound forge pro 15. This is a super low voice recording of recording. What are the steps and in what order should I do them to get this recording clean, i.e. with as little background noise as possible and those vocals clearly audible?

I try with equalizer, loudness normalize, volume and voice denoise, but the result is very bad. I don't know in which order i have to do the different steps.

A big thank you to the charitable souls who can answer me, because there I dry up.

Comments

rraud wrote on 1/28/2022, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @flo-l.

Try "Process> Normalize" . The Peak Normalize option will preserve the dynamics and can raise (or lower) the entire (or selected) waveform amplitude. The RMS normalize mode is quirky and can fork-up dynamics and clip the audio. If there are loud peaks, a brick-wall limiter can tame those to raise the level further.
See my recent comment on the 'Expand Recording Levels' thread for more info on Volume Maximizers and such.

btw, to reduce additional noise when normalizing low recording levels, save the initial recording as a PCM <.wav> file with a 24 or higher bit depth.