Adding New Drive - Want to install Moivie Edit Pro 17 Plus HD on new drive, Original App on C: Drive -? should simply reinstall or uninstall, then reinstall?

zq09fesoj02 wrote on 1/10/2014, 11:37 PM

Been having crashes with Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus HD when converting project  to DVD copy. Elected to get faster SATA dive with larger buffer and wanted to put Movie Edit pro on new drive...discovered 3 copies of Movie Edit pro on computer.  Full and download version on external dive and Full on C: Drive Desk top icon directs to external drive full version, which I assume I am using when I work on project. Have some material with several hours work would like to preserve if possible. Project includes digital jpg images and video..had inserted jpg images before inserting video. Ijn past have inserted video prior to jpg image, not sure that makes a difference, but worth mentioning. After crash when tried to recover project only get the video portion on the time line .

Equipment AMD Quad Core Phenom II, Radeon 3000 video, 8 gig RAM, SATA WD 160gig C: drive, External WD Elements 1 TB USB2 connected hard drive, Win7 Pro

Question ...Should I uninstall all copies of Movie Edit Pro and reinstall on new drive or simply reinstall Movie Edit Pro and manually remove the excess versions. I have original video clips and jpg images, but would prefer not to need to reinsert them into editor.

Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 1/11/2014, 1:33 AM

zq09fesoj02,

I'm sure there will others adding their wisdom, but a couple of points:

It is generally agreed that it's best to have your program on your fastest (almost certainly internal) drive and your project resources eg video clips, images, audio tracks etc, on a different, possibly external, drive. I've never heard any suggestion to have MEP installed on an external drive. I'd suggest you change your desktop icon to point to the internal drive version and see if it is more stable. I'd check this first before doing any further installs.

There is no problem having different version of MEP all installed on the same drive, but I've no experience having the program simultaneously on different drives. They can even run together though there is a warning the some actions like video capture can't be shared across two copies at the same time.

Was your attempt at recovery from one of the backup copies that MEP makes at regular intervals? They have an extension ending in something like '_BAK0_MV_'. You can rename them as standard .MVP projects or use the restore function 'File' >> 'Load backup project...'.

Regards,

Carl

johnebaker wrote on 1/11/2014, 8:46 AM

Hi

. . . . Full and download version on external dive and Full on C: . . . .

Never install software on a removable external drive - USB devices have a nasty habit of going to sleep, or randomly disconnecting / reconnecting - this may be the cause of your issues.

In addition, installing to an external drive, not all the program is installed there, some parts have to be installed on the OS drive.  Depending on how you are looking at the installation folders this may be why you see the Full version installed on 2 drives - most of the program on the external drive, the Program Data folder and Users App Data on the C drive plus any other parts that must go on this drive.

You will need to uninstall the software, run the Magix cleaner tools available here, then reinstall to the second internal drive The program will still be split over 2 drives, however the data connection to the internal drive will be stable unlike USB connections.

Personally I would install to the C drive and change the default folder paths in the programs settings to point to folders on the second drive - this is how I have set mine up - C drive = OS + software, second hard drive as Data drive ie videos, images, projects. Documents folder etc.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/11/2014, 8:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.