Activating MM 2017 Steam Edition?

pauljtaylor wrote on 3/15/2018, 11:38 AM

Is there a way to activate Music Maker 2017 Steam Edition as an older program in Music Maker 25? MM25 shows 2017 Steam Edition's instruments in its Instruments tab with a lock icon, with only the options to purchase the instrument or to bring up the Activate Edition window. In the Activate Edition window, the option for "Activation of older programs" requires an "Older serial number." Music Maker 2017 Steam Edition doesn't have a serial number per se; once purchased from the Steam market, the program is permanently added to one's Steam Library, but if an actual serial number is ever generated then it's not exposed to the user.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 3/16/2018, 5:24 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

As you have discovered, the Steam editions of Magix software (and, I suspect, the software of other manufacturers) seem "unusual" in the method of registering and activating. "Normal" purchases require the use of a serial number to activate the software; Steam editions do not.

As a result, you now find yourself in a position where you would like to activate an older Steam edition in a more current "normal" edition. Without a serial number that is not possible so I suspect your question really needs to be posed to Steam. Can they supply you with a serial number that Magix will recognise? My suspicion is that Steam would really like you to purchase any later version/upgrade through them and not direct from Magix.

Failing that, the only other suggestion I can make is to open a ticket at Magix support.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam