about licensing?

pearbear50 wrote on 10/2/2016, 2:12 PM

hello to whom reads the following...
I have purchased music-maker 2015 and have enjoyed using the templates
and soundpools-loops that were available within the package. I have composed
songs using them (unedited) and written lyrics to accompany the work having used the loops (unedited) from the following soundpools that (CAME WITH the 2015 music-maker\music-studio\soundpool DVD collection 20 bundle):

-chillout vol-8\9

-dance vol-1

-deep-house vol-1

-dub-step vol-2

-electro-dub vol-1

-hip-hop vol-15\16

-house vol-11

-metal vol-2

-moviescore vol-11

-rock-pop vol-8\9

-techno vol-16\17

-template audio samples I used--> CB-radio, speaker 1-2, speech, phone 1-2.

Being that i want to sell the songs via internet for profit, what would be the best license for me to purchase for that right to sell.

Also, regarding the loops and soundpools: Being that the soundpools were already in the initial purchase of magix 2015, do i only need to buy the licenses for the loops that i used inside the soundpools.

EXAMPLE: I used 1 choir out of 3 choir choices in moviescore vol-11...how does the licensing fee apply? on the 1 or the whole vol-11?

Do I pay separate license fee for the above template samples I used only?

Also, is the purchase of the commercial licenses "Audio Pro advanced or Unlimited"  another separate expense to all of the above?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm at the stage of wanting to expose
the work commercially, and would like to cover all the bases of
which licences I need that provides the best protection for all. (soundpool,loops and
template use)...newbie here.

p.s.   everything in the songs (except lyrics) are from the soundpool-loops and template-audio.

What do i need to buy (licence-wise) to cover all bases.

thank-you so much for your time in responding.

perry

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 10/2/2016, 3:08 PM

Hi pearbear50

. . . . What do i need to buy (licence-wise) to cover all bases. . . . .

The licence you require depends on various options you expect to encounter, these are listed here with the various licences that cover all possible combinations of sales/performance/downloads etc.

There is a downside to using the Soundpool loops, rather than creating your own rhythms etc using the synthesizers, in that you will get hit by claims of breach of copyright from other users of Music Maker.

However such claims are often not legal because the claimant, and yourself, never own the copyright to the soundpools, this belongs to Magix or the Soundpool creators. 

The claimant, like yourself. only have a licence to use the Soundpools commercially - assuming they have bought the correct licence and similarities will exist.

In more detail:

Soundcloud, or any other public website is considered as commercial use even if you have never made any money from the tracks or planned to do so.

Under Copyright rules this is classed as 'Public performance' - whether you gain financially or not is irrelevant - you are 'publicly broadcasting', and therefore require the Commercial / pro licences, available from Catooh.com, for all soundpools used.

The Show and Discuss forum here is OK as this is a Magix provided service for users and putting your creations here is allowed.

If you compose and create melodies, drum beats etc using the synthesizers  ie no soundpool material then there is no problem putting your creations on to the Internet

The licensing of Music Maker allows personal use only - public performance of any kind requires the pro licences.

In brief the rules from Magix are:

a.   Soundpools and collections - these are copyrighted and require the commercial licence for use for public performance.

b.   You should refrain from using the built in synthesizer melodies eg double click Revolta for example will put a melody on the timeline.

c.   Drum synthesizers are the exception to copyright / licencing - they are too generic.

d.   Playing the synthesizers (by external MIDI keyboard or using the Midi editor) with your own compositions and settings does not require a commercial licence.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/2/2016, 3:08 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.