-59 Error after Bluscreen from MOTU driver

Jon-Urban wrote on 2/11/2022, 12:40 PM

I have been using a MOTU 828 Mk3 to record in multichannel audio into Vegas 18 and SF 16 (and earlier version) for years. Apparently, there is some conflict with the MOTU driver MFWAWAVE64.SYS that now causes my PC to bluescreen if the MOTU is powered up when the computer boots. (I know this has nothing to do with MAGIX - please bear with me)

So, I was recorded in audio with Vegas 18 the other day, saved the 4 channel audio files, then opened them in Sound Forge 16, like I always do. However, as happens sometime, the audio device is still claimed by Vegas, so I rebooted the PC. It came back to a blue screen crash upon reboot. (I eventually figured out that it was because the MOTU was powered - again, not a MAGIX issue)

So, after rebooting with the MOTU off, the PC started up fine, but then I got an error on restart of Vegas 18 that was a messagebox that said "Error -59", no license for this copy of the software. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling, but now everytime I start Vegas it has to re-register itself!

Well, now it has happened with SF16, and after the BlueScreen crash, I got the -59 error and had to remove and reinstall SF16, and now everytime I start it, it has to go through the register the software bit.

Anyone know how to get around this?

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/11/2022, 3:47 PM

@Jon-Urban Try to run the program as administrator by right clicking on the program icon.

Jon-Urban wrote on 2/13/2022, 2:12 PM

Tried that. Both programs go through the registration process everytime I start them. It's totally annoying but I can live with it as long as MAGIX doesn't think it's odd that I register the software multiple times a day

rraud wrote on 2/13/2022, 3:03 PM

This Microsoft troubleshoot utility has helped another user with the Error 59 issue, but I have not personally had experience with it
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

Otherwise, with SF and VP Error 59 issues, it is recommend by Magix app needs to be uninstalled,, preferably with third-party utility (like Revo uninstall) which can remove the pertinent folders, other left-over registry entries and data the OS uninstall leaves behind, which in usually the root of recurring issues then reinstalled.

Otherwise you could try uninstalling SF with the default Win uninstaller, then delete the folders Magix recommends: C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\[Software_Name] and C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\MAGIX\[Software_Name]

Requesting a support ticket from Magix Tech Support is another route, they may have alternate ideas.

Jon-Urban wrote on 2/13/2022, 4:10 PM

Thanks. I did the uninstall/reinstall on both programs to get them to work again and avoid the -59 error, but I did not delete the folder or the registry settings so maybe that's my issue. When I get a chance I will uninstall/reinstall again and this time take those additional steps. THANKS!

Jon-Urban wrote on 2/17/2022, 2:43 PM

UPDATE: I bought Revo Uninstaller, uninstalled the program and Revo then went in and found all of the registry entries that did not get deleted and I deleted them. Reinstalled and now SF is back to normal.

Thanks rraud!

rraud wrote on 2/17/2022, 5:33 PM

Glad it worked out, Revo Uninstall is faster and much more thorough then trying to manually deleting all the many data files and registry entries the default uninstall leaves behind. The free version is adequate in most cases and the pro version will not break most folks bank either. The pro version includes the forced uninstall tool if the app's uninstall file is missing