XARA Web Designer Premium Version 16

Lori-Laska wrote on 11/11/2019, 2:48 PM

How do I convert and upload a flash file to HTML5 or whatever else will work on today's browsers?

I created a website via Xara software quite some time ago. I have some flash files I would like to work on my website without flash. The page I refer to is located at: http://www.lorikuklinski.magix.net/#xl_xr_page_core The files work in IE but not on Chrome. Obviously, I need to get these converted before Flash disappears entirely, but am having a difficult time trying to get anything I do to work.

Please advise.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 11/11/2019, 4:08 PM

@Lori-Laska

Hi and welcome to the forum

Please do not double post the same topic, I have also moved your topic to the correct forum.

. . . . a flash file to HTML5 or whatever else will work on today's browsers . . . .

The file format you need to use is MP4, there are many file converters that can do this available, personally I use MovAvi.

The other thing you must do after conversion is make the file streamable - for this I use MP4 Fast Start

In Xara Web Designer, assuming that the template you used generates HTML 5 compliant code, you need to add the video to the page, publish and upload - no player should be necessary all HTML 5 compliant browsers can play MP4 files with their own built in players.

HTH

John EB

Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/11/2019, 4:18 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Lori-Laska wrote on 11/11/2019, 5:01 PM

Hi John,

I'm not sure what you mean by a double post. To my knowledge, this is the only one I have made. Admittedly, this is not the easiest forum to navigate so...

I converted the file to MP4 and used the MP4 Fast Start, but I was not allowed to drag the file to the website. It said it was incompatible. One would think you'd be allowed to add this file, given that I just bought the newest version, and that flash is no longer going to be supported, but... I'm highly disappointed. I know that I can add HTML Code under properties but I don't remember half of what I learned when I set this site up. In fact, I see no added value from Version 11. Truly disappointing!

browj2 wrote on 11/11/2019, 8:42 PM

I converted the file to MP4 and used the MP4 Fast Start, but I was not allowed to drag the file to the website. It said it was incompatible.

Hi,

What do you mean by "drag the file to the website?" Do you mean dragging onto the page of the site that you are designing in Web Designer, I hope?

The link that you gave in your first post goes to Magix online site. What is supposed to be for?

What hosting service are you using? Magix? Xara? Other?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 11/12/2019, 4:38 AM

@Lori-Laska

Hi

Here is an example of inserting video and how it looks in a browser.

Note my browser is set not to obey Autostart for video in a website and in this example Web Designer is adding a player widget to contain and play the video.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Lori-Laska wrote on 11/12/2019, 7:56 AM

Hi John,

I created a simple animation in XARA Web Design Premium (V11) into a swf file that is held in a flash placeholder. It's a silly little file that, when the website is opened, looks like a small flashing jewel. I created variations of that file, so that they would flash at different times when the page is opened. If you went to the web address that I posted using IE as a browser (hosted by MAGIX) and navigated to the Core tab, you would see what I mean. I' want to convert this file into a format hat will work in the other browsers. By "drag", I mean I tried to drag the newly converted file onto the page I am designing and then I previewed it on the web in both Chrome and IE. It worked in Chrome but not in any other browser. I obviously don't recall how to properly convert or place this file into my design so that it plays properly when published on the web.

Thank you, in advance, for your patience. I'm not an IT person, so I lack the terminology needed to communicate this well. Please forgive my fumbling about as I try to effectively communicate what I mean.

Lori

johnebaker wrote on 11/12/2019, 8:34 AM

@Lori-Laska

Hi

The link you posted is down, as is the website at www.lorikuklinski.magix.net/ - it was working yesterday evening.

For decorations such a 'jewel' you may want to try reverting back to the oldest technology for animations on the web - animated GIFs - these are quicker to load and need no player.

There are several free online converters which can convert short video clips to an animated GIF files,

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/12/2019, 8:36 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Lori-Laska wrote on 11/12/2019, 9:09 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate it. I've corrected the issue. Since I was in, I also updated the URL to: http://lorilaska.magix.net/#xl_xr_page_core

I like your idea. Thank you! I will give it a try and see where this takes me.

Admittedly, I do also have a loading problem which I suspect has to do with my website background. That will be next challenge after this one is resolved. Thanks again for the information, I will keep you posted on my success.

Lori-Laska wrote on 12/1/2019, 8:13 AM

Hi John,

While I was able to convert my swf file to a mp4, I have no idea how to make it work on my website and the instructions really don't help. I just bought the updated version of this software thinking it would have been updated, given Flash is a thing of the past, but it looks like it is stuck in the stone ages. Is there anything on here that can help? I haven't been able to find a thing. Such as, how do I replace the swf file with the mp4 and get it to work?

browj2 wrote on 12/5/2019, 11:14 AM

@lynnedaisy2003

Hi Lynne,

I'll answer some of your questions, John EB will likely answer the others.

Hosting:

Magix had and has a hosting server. I have an account and domain with Magix. This was actually offered with Xara when I first started with Magix hosting.

Later on, Xara also started hosting and the offer for Magix hosting was dropped. Xara offers 1 year of M-hosting along with the purchase of Xara Designer Pro X and Xara Web Designer Premium.

You must know which one you purchased from and which one is currently hosting your web site. Access to the online web tools is via completely different portals - Magix online, or Xara online.

As far as I know, neither Magix nor Xara has indicated that they would be stopping hosting. Your problem is only about having flash coding or files on your website. This Flash thing is not a Magix or Xara problem, it is with everything - all websites.

John EB may know more.

As well, you should be aware that there is a Xara forum called TalkGraphics with many very knowledgeable Xara users. I suggest that you join.

Here is a link to a discussion about Flash.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 12/5/2019, 11:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

lynnedaisy2003 wrote on 12/5/2019, 1:09 PM

Thank you so much, a huge relief too, that my website doesn't sound as though it will be disappearing any time soon. I checked it on a Flash checker website, and it shows as 100% non-Flash, so I think I'm all ok. I purchased initially through Magix, both software and hosting and then upgraded to a Xara package, Web Designer 12. I should probably upgrade again, but if it means creating a whole new website, I'd be reluctant, unless there's any way of transferring content. Thanks so much once again, especially as your reply is so prompt. Lynne

browj2 wrote on 12/5/2019, 2:48 PM

@lynnedaisy2003

Hi Lynne,

You can always try the trial version (best to go with Premium). You simply open the Xara project file, either .XAR or .WEB in the new version to see what happens. Some users have complained about things going out of whack, but you can always try or adjust. Do a Save As with a different filename just to make sure that you keep the original project file so that you can always use it with a previous version.

However, if you're only doing one web site and it's done, then there's no reason to upgrade.

You can see the more recent update history here.

You get access for 1 year to all of the on-line content whereas before you had to pay for each template. You can download and keep all of the templates, widgets etc. You also get free updates/new features for 1 year. See the Update Service terms to understand better.

John CB

John C.B.

lynnedaisy2003 wrote on 12/5/2019, 5:06 PM

Many thanks again John, really appreciate all your advice. I shall look into an upgrade, although I do only have 1 website. What I'm using now I feel could be better on mobiles and Ipads, it's set up mainly for pc use. So perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea. Best regards, Lynne