Xara Designer Pro X: Extra margin added when export as EMF file

PDanie wrote on 3/16/2020, 7:35 AM

Software: Xara Designer Pro X, Version 16.3.0.57723

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit, Professional

When I export an image to a EMF file, the size of the EMF image get added margins.

o Create a New Page.

o Set Page Options -> Units -> Page = Pixels, Font = Pixels.

o Set Page Options -> Grid and Ruler -> Origin X = 0px, Y = 0px.
o Set Page Options -> Page Size -> Paper -> Paper size = Custom, Width = 100px, Height=100px.

o Set Page Options -> Page Size -> Page -> Outer margin: 0px.

o Set Page Options -> Coordinate direction -> X = To the Right, Y = Downwards.

o Draw a Rectangle with Color = Red, Line/Frame = None, Size = 100 x 100px.

o Export the image as JPEG.

o When I open the image (in Windows Paint) it has the size of 100 x 100px. This is OK.

o Export the image as EMF.

o When I open the image (in Windows Paint) it has the size of 101 x 101px. This is STRANGE.

o Add Line/Frame of 1px to the Rectangle.

o Export the image as JPEG.

o When I open the image (in Windows Paint) it has the size of 101 x 101px. This is OK.

o Export the image as EMF.

o When I open the image (in Windows Paint) it has the size of 129 x 129px. This is as I see it an ERROR.

I don't know where this extra margin (shows up as a wide white border around the rectangle).

Am I missing some extra setting, or should I press something different than right click on rectangle and choose Export followed by Export.

Or is this "by design" for Xara Designer Pro X?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/16/2020, 8:14 AM

@PDanie

Hi

. . . . Am I missing some extra setting, or should I press something different than right click on rectangle and choose Export followed by Export. . . . .

I do not think so, sizing and white border issues are a common issue with EMF files caused by.

1. dpi scaling in the viewing program is different to the images dpi setting in Designer Pro

2. Display Size and layout is set to > 100%

Is there an alternative image format you can use?

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

PDanie wrote on 3/16/2020, 8:26 AM

Hi Johnebaker,

Unfortunately I am stuck with using EMF files. I want to use Vector Graphics and can not use SVG in my application.

One way forward might be to edit SVG files and then convert them to EMF.

o InkScape (version .0.92.4 and 1.0.0.Beta1) does a poor job in converting SVG -> EMF.

o Apache OpenOffice Draw does a poor job in converting SVG -> EMF.

o XnConvert convert SVG to bitmap and then add that bitmap to EMF. This is not useful for me.

o ReaConvert seems to do the best job in converting SVG -> EMF.

My hope was that Xara Designer Pro X would do a great job both for editing and converting, but alas not so.

I was hoping that I had missed some setting in Xara Designer Pro X.