Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 discontinued

Marinda wrote on 8/30/2014, 4:50 AM

I was very shocked to discover that my Website that was published with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 disappeared.

The message confirms that is as result of the fact that Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 is no longer supported.   I have the Web Designer 5 package and can also no longer post any e-mail enquiries to Maxic as the product is too old .............   My question is that if we upgrade to a new computer with Windows 8 and the latest Internet Explorer, will I again be able to Use the Web Designer 5 document to upload the Website again?   I tried doing it with the Google Chrome that we are now using on the computer but the password that always used to work no longer works.   Anybody else out there with similar experience that could give some advice?  I would hate losing all the hours and hours that I spend designing the website that now disappeared.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/30/2014, 5:07 PM

Hi

. . . . Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 is no longer supported. . . . .

The warnings were announced by Microsoft starting 2009 and was heavily advertised in the media.

If your XP was up to date you should have had Internet Explorer 9 on the PC and popups warning you of the impending end of support for XP and recommending upgrading to Windows 7

. . . . will I again be able to Use the Web Designer 5 . . .

No - it is not compatible with Windows 8 / 8.1 the software is 5 versions out of date (over 5 years old) - you will need to upgrade to the latest Web Designer,  eg version, 10 to produce HTML for modern browsers.

. . . Website that was published with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8 disappeared . . . I would hate losing all the hours and hours that I spend designing the website . . .

Did you keep a backup of it on your PC?  If so you should be able copy it to your new PC and upgrade it in Web Designer 10.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/30/2014, 5:08 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Marinda wrote on 8/31/2014, 11:54 PM

Good Morning,

Unfortunately here in South Africa I did not come across a huge campaign with respect to the Windows XP that is going to be discontinued.  Windows XP regularly installed new patches, etc. when shutting down.  We bought the Magix Web Design 5 package in 2010.

We have a home computer and regularly browse the web, do internet banking and obtain information for school prjoects.  I updated the website every now and then and received no warnings from any of the internet sites warning about the impending problem looming.

The first warning we got was when browsing the web was a few months ago and we also heard it briefly over the local news, but I  still did not realise the actual impact it will have.  We will be upgrading to a new computer system at home as soon as it is possible.

Fortunately I have kept back-ups of the files and am glad to hear that I should be able to use it again once we have a new computer and upgraded to the latest version of Magix as well.  This is really goods news.

Will I be able to publish to the same site with the same password to upload again once ready?  At this stage it tells me the password is not correct.