why is it doing this???

deuce913 wrote on 11/7/2008, 12:52 AM
i just bought new computer because my other one was not good enough for video editing...
so i got brand new vista and when i pull up magix movie edit pro 12 this message comes up

please note, that the program requires overwrite authorizations for several media files used and their corresponding directories.
it may be the case that other users do not have authorization in their personal directories. if you would like to make your files available to other users, you can copy them into my audio video within the installation directory.

can i please have help on what to do???

also...i dont know if my next problem is because of the one i stated above or not...
but since i switched over to this other computer (vista) i tried taking the file i was currently working on with my XP and copying the video file to my vista and opening it on my vista with magix movie edit pro 12...but...when i try to open it...it says the file belonging to the film could not be found
soooo i try locating it and when i click on it its says...that the file is already open...than asks me if i want to open it under a different name...so i typed new name but than it says  the same thing...file cannot be found...
please help!!! i neeeeeeed to finish this video asap!!!

Comments

Lazerboy wrote on 11/7/2008, 9:20 AM
Hi,

sorry to say.....but I hate Vista....and I am not alone. Now, you know why. First of all: This has not to do with the magix software.

1. Question one: If you use the computer alone, click no. This had nothing to do with the next point

2. Vista has a different file system. You cannnot just simply copy existing files form the xp system to vista if you do not know the exact file structure that is needed. If you install the Magix software under vista it will be forced to use the vista based file structure....The only thing I could imagine is that you make direkt with Video deluxe a back up on a DVD on the xp system and try to load this on the vista system. But I am not sure if this works.
ralftaro wrote on 11/10/2008, 1:07 PM
Hi there,

Lazerboy already mentioned a few relevant points. The first message you describe is really not an error message and shouldn't throw you off track. It's just a notification by the program that basically informs you about some Vista-specific rights management issues. You can basically ignore. If in doubt, make sure to run the program by right-clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator". Also, when working with MEP 12, make sure you got the patch installed that is available for this version on the Magix support website.

As far as the second matter is concerned, you will have to understand and handle the innate problems of getting your projects from one system to another one when you're working with a software that is based on the concept of virtual, non-destructive editing. You might be aware of this, but your project/movie files basically just contain meta information and references to the actual source material. So, when you're copying something across, make sure to copy both the project/movie files and *all* source files. But that's not everything yet. The references to the source files will be incorrect on the new system with its different directory structure. So, when opening the project/movie files, the program will still fail to locate the source files. I'm not sure about the problem you've been experiencing and whether it was actually some malfunction or behavior by design, but here is an approach that should get you around such problems. However, this requires that you still have the old (XP) system running with the program and installed and your projects on the system. Instead of just trying to copy the relevant files from the old system to the new one, open the project(s) again in Movie Edit Pro on the old system and then use the following function:

"File" menu => "Backup copy" sub menu => "Copy disc project, movies and media into folder" option

This will take your entire active project, dump *all* relevant files into one single directory and change the references in a way that you will be able to open it on a different system, independent from the possibly different directory structure. This is the perfect way to get stuff across onto other system (e.g. via external hard drive).

I hope this helps.