why don't any of the features work

shortj wrote on 7/18/2009, 11:57 PM
I cannot import/record video from my high def hard drive panasonic camcorder to my hard drive with this program. It doesn't even recognize my camcorder!  I cannot import *.mov files from my canon rebel digital slr files with this program.  I get a message about a decoder but I cannot find how to get the free decorder and if its free why didn't they just include it in the program.  I paid $100 USD for this program and the only function that works is the photo album organizer and I already had a free program to do that.  Can anybordy help me get the import features to work the way they should in this program?

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 7/21/2009, 5:54 AM
Hi,

Doesn't sound like there's really any technical problem here. Aside from the fact that some of the issues you raised might require a little more information to make a definite call as to what is going on, this mostly sounds like you need to invest some more time into understanding the program and the camera technology you're using.

If you have an HD camera with a hard drive (probably AVCHD?), you wouldn't use Movie Edit Pro to transfer or record the files. A recording/capturing process is not necessary. Just copy the video files from the camera's hard drive to the hard drive of your PC (e.g. in Windows Explorer) and file-import them from the mediapool into the Movie Edit Pro timeline. That's how it works for AVCHD cameras (or generally cams that record video files). Make sure you got the "Plus" version of Movie Edit Pro and all necessary codecs for AVCHD handling are activated.

As far as your Quicktime/MOV import is concerned, it sounds like the necessary Apple Quicktime components and codecs are just not installed on the system. Get them here:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I hope this helps.