Why does the text cut off when watching the slideshow on tv?

abbie_ortiz wrote on 2/5/2014, 4:41 PM

Hello!

I inserted subtitles on the pictures in the slideshow. Im using Magix Video Easy. When I play the slideshow on my laptop, it shows perfectly! But when I burn a dvd and try to watch it on tv, the subtitles are cut off on the sides of the screen and you cant read them. How can I fix this?

Thank you!

Ive been reading some of the Questions & Answers. I think I found out the problem. I need a way to check what the TV SAFE AREA is so that my text doesnt get cut off. Does Magix Video Easy give that option?

Comments

terrypin wrote on 2/6/2014, 6:37 AM

Hi Abbie,

Yes, you've found the cause, TV 'overscan'. Used to be understandable in the olden days with CRT TVs, but I'm darned if I know why the technology still doesn't let me use 100% of my flat, LED widescreen.

I'm not sure what setting options are available in Video Easy, but in MEP this is the stuff:

Or for better quality that will let you read the Help extract:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4019461/MEP-TVCropping-1.jpg

I'd hope that Video Easy lets you at least display the TV safe area. But otherwise it's resonably easy to estimate the area that's not visible after some experiments with successively smaller rectangle images.

In MEP you can also ensure that Titles automatically remain within the safe area:

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last changed by terrypin on 2/6/2014, 6:37 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

abbie_ortiz wrote on 2/6/2014, 8:08 AM

Thank you so much! I dont think Video Easy gives that option. But at least I know why its doing that! I'll be sure to go back and give my Text plenty of room. Thank you for your time!

gandjcarr wrote on 2/6/2014, 10:00 AM

Hi Abbie,

I just read through the Video Easy manual and there is no mention of a "TV Safe Area" setting.  Video Easy is a pretty basic video editor with a focus on simple and easy.  As such, not a lot of advanced features.  As your needs and experience grow, you may want to consider Movie Edit Pro, which in my opinion is one of the better consumer video editors on the market today.

I think you are on the right track by giving your text plenty of room, or you could try scrolling your text from left to right and see if that works for you (not 100% sure that video easy offers scrolling titles but worth a look).

George