Why does text and images always import onto Guides layer

richs wrote on 2/20/2022, 3:05 PM

Hi,

Just trying to find my way around the software. I have a Guides layer and when I make a text box or drag an image onto the page it goes onto the guides layer which then means the image dosen't show, the text is in an outline and dosen't publish. I've tried selecting the page layer but can't solve. Only thing that seems to work is to delete the guides layer.

Where am I going wrong, thanks for help.

Comments

Former user wrote on 2/21/2022, 3:26 AM

I am using Xara Designer Pro X 18.5.0.62892  DL x64 Aug 11 2021

As a test, I did the following:

Opened a blank A4 (210mm x 297mm) document . The template I have already has a layer called “Layer 1” therein
Pressed CTRL+L to display the rulers
From a ruler, I dragged a guide to create the guide layer with the guide in it (I now have two layers: “Guides (in red)” and “Layer 1”.
I imported a JPG file. The imported jpg was placed in “Layer 1”. I did not even have to select “Layer 1”

This worked as expected - i.e. the image from the jpg appeared in “Layer 1”

You might need to describe what program you are referring to and your exact steps.

richs wrote on 2/21/2022, 7:35 AM

Thanks for taking a look, I’ll try and make a short video to show it happening, I’m sure it’s just something small that I’m doing or not doing as I’m still finding my way around the software. I got round the problem by deleting the guides layer altogether.

Former user wrote on 2/21/2022, 1:48 PM

I am wondering if in File | Options > General, and various “Importing Layers” settings make a difference.

richs wrote on 2/21/2022, 2:42 PM

Thanks, I had a look at that, the strange thing is I can't get the software to do it again. I might have to wait and see if the problem occurs again and try to see what's happening. thanks for help.