Why cant i play the videos?

Hegonta wrote on 5/13/2009, 7:36 PM
When i press play after i import a video ( ive done it with mpg, avi, mp4, and a bunch of others) when i go to watch the video, and i havent edited it in any way shape or form, it says

" Waveform output device 'none' cannot play this format!"

"A device ID has been used that is out of range of your system"

Now i am TOTALY confused on what this means. I also will add that i have Windows XP and have no sound on my computer. Im not sure if thats what is doing this. Thanks a TON

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 5/14/2009, 5:56 AM
Hi there,

The message you get indicates a problem interfacing the audio driver for playback. So, if you don't have any sound on your system, that would definitely explain it. You will need that for video editing, even if it's just the most basic audio hardware.

I almost find it hard to believe that there's no sound hardware on your system at all. These days, even the most basic systems come with at least a simple audio hardware on the main board. This hardware might not be very powerful, it might have e.g. low quality analog-digital converters or sometimes no input sockets and recording capabilities at all, but it will usually suffice for simple playback tasks and thus will be sufficient for most video editing needs. Are you sure the drivers for your audio chipset are just not installed properly? You might want to look into this.

If there's really no on-board sound in your system, just get a simple PCI plug-in sound card. As I said above, for video editing you won't need anything fancy. You can probably find something for 10 to 15 bucks that will do.

Once you sorted out the on-board audio problem or fitted a new sound card, make sure to configure the audio driver in Movie Edit Pro: Open the program, go into the program settings/playback settings ("P" key) and make sure you have picked an audio playback driver model and selected a valid driver from the "Output device" drop-down list.

I hope this helps.