Where's English?

dtrons wrote on 9/12/2019, 3:11 AM

Hoping someone can help here -- I downloaded Xara Page & Layout Trial, liked it and wanted a serial number. During the online purchase, I was directed to Magix as they were responsible for Germany, where I currently live. Bought the serial number. Tried to enter it. Got error -14. Learned from the online support pages that my serial number was only valid for software from the POS it is downloaded from. Uninstalled Xara, re-downloaded Magix Page & Layout. Was able to register, but now everything was in German. The only languages on offer are German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish. Tried to re-install with the -force workaround. Didn't make a difference. And those are also the only languages available within the program on the options menu. Does anyone have a solution for this???

BEGIN RANT I can't remember having such a bad experience with online software. Reeled in over the trial version, and now it's like they want to make it hard for me to actually buy the product. Just lost 40 minutes of my life to this poorly thought out process. END RANT

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 9/12/2019, 4:05 AM

@dtrons

Welcome to the Magix forums, and sorry to hear about the software language problems you are experiencing.

I honestly don't know the direct answer to your question but I would strongly recommend you use the Contact button in the footer of every forum page to contact Magix sales and explain your problem. They are the only people who can resolve this for you, I think.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

dtrons wrote on 9/12/2019, 7:13 AM

Thanks, Jeff. I had done that, I was just a little too impatient. I'm happy to say that Magix got back to me with a new serial number. But it was another de-install and re-install. And the English version is now just English, the other languages are missing. I don't know if that has to do with how the licensing has been dealt with across different geographies, but it does seem unnecessarily convoluted. In any case, resolved!

johnebaker wrote on 9/12/2019, 7:29 AM

@dtrons

Hi

. . . . I don't know if that has to do with how the licensing has been dealt with across different geographies, but it does seem unnecessarily convoluted. . . . .

An educated guess would be that language specific serial numbers enables the Magix licencing servers to redirect the program to get the correct language for patches and resources.

It would be difficult if it used the language setting of the computer for example - my PC is setup for both English and German, switching between the 2 when necessary.

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Thanos wrote on 3/19/2020, 9:16 PM

I'm encountering the same problem with a serial # I purchased from a Fanatical.com bundle. The English language option to install doesn't appear. I was directed to the download by the email I got from Magix after redeeming the bundle key.

emmrecs wrote on 3/20/2020, 4:11 AM

@Thanos

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Assuming your problem is exactly the same as that experienced by the OP (you want the program in English but it installs in German) you need to read my earlier post to this thread and do exactly what is stated there. The only difference is that you need to use the Support button in the header of any forum page rather than the old Contact button. As fellow-users we cannot directly help you with this.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Thanos wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:32 AM

Thanks Jeff. Unfortunately the "Support" button doesn't lead anywhere. It provides a list of possible answers and if you click ask Magix for help it just cycles you back to the home "Support" page. Maybe I'm missing where you can get a human to look in on your problem. I'm starting to wonder if any of these apps are worth it. I've had start up issues with the VR app and now no English for the Layout app. Seems shady.

Thanos wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:34 AM

I did find a tutorial on adding the -force to the installer, but that doesn't invent the English install. It just runs what you have with all the language selections I don't want or need.

Thanos wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:41 AM

I finally found the submit ticket button. It's after you select a useless option and scroll to the bottom.

emmrecs wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:45 AM

@Thanos

Yes, I see what you mean about the Support link! Sorry about that.

I wonder whether this seemingly circular process is being caused by the current Coronavirus problems throughout Europe? I will try to alert any Magix staff who might be still working to this situation and ask for clarification.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Thanos wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:52 AM

The Fanatical guys sent me another link for a download that seems to be in English. Now I get Error 14 when I try to register. Ughh...

Thanos wrote on 3/20/2020, 6:58 AM

Hurray and Huzzah! That one was on me. I used the wrong SN. I'm installed and running. Thanks Jeff!

emmrecs wrote on 3/20/2020, 7:04 AM

@Thanos

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

Jeff