Comments

NoTurning wrote on 2/20/2009, 8:16 AM
Hi,
First - make sure track record monitoring is off by unselecting the REC button in the icon (left) area of each track... this can cause that effect.

How are you creating tracks? Are you recording from a mic/outside source or are you dragging samples into your tracks?

Can you play just two tracks at a time and what does that sound like?

Could be a latency issue too - that would make recorded tracks out of sync with existing.

Let me know,
Justin
NoTurning wrote on 2/20/2009, 7:41 PM
Hi,
It sounds like you might have track monitoring on AND playback while recording enabled.

Also check your sound card settings to ensure that the "What You Hear" IS NOT enabled. That will record whatever comes out your speakers as well as what enters line in.

Justin
NoTurning wrote on 2/20/2009, 7:43 PM
Overdubbing is your friend - and it would only produce the effect you're talking about if you're using a mic.

Justin
NoTurning wrote on 2/21/2009, 7:48 AM
The track monitoring is the REC button on the left of each track. Make sure those are all off on each track while recording.

The 'playback while recording' check box is in the record dialog window... It's ok to leave that on at all times. It only produces a problem if you're recording and have the track monitoring turned on too.

This won't help what you've already recorded but it should prevent it from happening. The track monitoring is great if you only want to hear one or two tracks while recording. It also allows you to only hear the current track you're recording as you record. The playback lets you hear everything and play along with it while you record. Having them on simultaneously can produce the artifacts you're experiencing.

Justin
NoTurning wrote on 2/22/2009, 7:09 PM
Wow... weird one. Do you have any mics (maybe built into the PC) that are on?

Sometimes when we record as a band the acoustic guitar pickup echos the drums - could that be your issue? Have you tried monitoring through headphones instead of speakers? Might be worth a try. It sounds like you're getting bleed through but I don't know how.

Let me know what you come up with,
Justin

NoTurning wrote on 2/23/2009, 8:40 AM
Good job!
This is similar to the "what you hear" in your sound card settings I mentioned earlier - I'll have to remember this for future questions.

Stop by the Music Maker Tips, Tricks and How-to group and offer this solution as a tip for others. Your discovery will be very helpful to someone in the future.

I have long been against using PC sound cards for recording whenever possible. This is another good example. Sound cards are wired for home audio and that presents a lot of problems when it comes to recording. If you can, get a good recording interface - there are several out there for not a lot of money. You can then get better recordings at studio grade quality and eliminate the headaches of PC sound cards.

There is a huge difference in the way home audio and the way pro audio is wired.

Justin