What Video Card Should I Buy FOR Movie Edit Pro 10 (or later)

Magus59 wrote on 8/13/2009, 7:04 AM
I have Movie Edit Pro 10 (Although I would upgrade if I needed to) and I want to import video from RCA (Composite) video inputs, but I need to get the hardware to do so. What video card works best?

I have AGP on my motherboard, but if I could get one that uses USB, that would be even better.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 8/19/2009, 6:13 AM
Hi there,

Generally, you'd probably go for a something like a TV tuner card that offers an additional analog input socket (Composite plus possibly also S-Video). There are also some video cards (as in actual graphics cards) that offer an analog input on top of having display capabilities. Plus, analog video grabbers and TV cards are widely available as USB-based devices.

Generally, als these devices comply with certain standards for video hardware, but in reality you can never expect every single device on the market to be compatible with every software. You might want to find out what hardware works for someone else and go for that. Here's a small list of devices that I have successfully used in conjunction with some slightly older or more current versions of Movie Edit Pro, just off the top of my head:

- Terratec Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS
- Dazzle DVC90
- some older Bt848 chipset based capture card
- Belkin USB VideoBus
- Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI
- Terratec Cinergy 200 USB
- the USB grabber contained with the Magix "Rescue Your Videotapes" package

There are other devices that I couldn't get to work properly with Movie Edit Pro or other software, but ultimately, I usually always found at least one program in my little collection (e.g. Nero Vision, Windows MovieMaker, Power Director) that would enable me to capture from each device. Once the footage is in the computer, you could always import the file into Movie Edit Pro for editing and DVD-authoring.

I hope this helps.