What type of DVD?

ScarletKnight wrote on 6/19/2011, 7:06 PM

I developed a long slide show using Magix Photostory for my parents 60th wedding anniversary party.  I plan to make copies of the show on DVD for each guest of the party.  I hope the guests will be able to play the DVD at their homes on their own DVD players.

What type of DVD should I use to maximize the chance that they will be able to view them?

- DVD +R or DVD -R or the RW variety?

- Any particular brand?

- How about specific settings to use when recording?

By the way, I created a test video on a Memorex DVD-R and it worked fine on both my home computer and home DVD player.  But, I gave it to a friend at work to test, and she was unable to read the DVD on either of the DVD players she has at home.  Of course, I won't know in advance the brand and/or age of our guests DVD players.

Comments

david wrote on 6/24/2011, 11:42 PM

Before I read you last paragraph I was going to suggest any name brand -R.  I use Sony and occasionally Verbatim and don't have any problem in my Sony and Panasonic DVD players, but they are fairly new.  You might want to try one of these for your friend who couldn't read the Memorex.

Also use a slow burn speed; 4x or 6x, he slower the safer.  I use 2x, but that's because I have an ancient burner that can't go any faster.

Hopefully a different brand and slow burn speed will help you get the most compatibility.

David

johnebaker wrote on 7/5/2011, 1:24 PM

Making DVD recommendations is difficult because there are so many factors involved from recording device to player compatibility.

I stick to a G5 dye based disc as these appear to be readable by most DVD players I have encountered. Some older players prefer a dye which is paler then the G5 because the laser is weaker.  This is probably the case for your friends player

Brand wise I use Ritek, Ridisc or Maxell but only with the G5 dye and DVD-R format.

For test burns and proofing only I use DVD-RW as my older DVD player is happy with these.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/5/2011, 1:26 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.