What should I export to in Movies on DVD 8

Clice wrote on 7/22/2009, 10:56 PM
Hi fellow forum members.

I'm a beta tester of Windows 7 RC2 Build 7100. So I have found out that my burner is not supported by Magix Movies on DVD 8 in this beta version of Win7.
But sadly, I have used many hours of editing my euro road trip movie, and was so excited to burn it tonight while at work.. But hey, now I see its not supported

So I think of moving my whole project file, and installing Magix Movies on DVD 8 on an other PC with Vista or XP. Do you know how I can do that easly? I have the source files on a USB HDD, but some files are still on my laptop though (where magix is installed on too).

OR

To what format, and quality do I export a file to? I do not want a super high quality Blu-Ray style film, because my camera is not that good, its a standard definition camera.
So what file format: AVI, DV-AVI, MPEG, MAGIX video, Quick Time, Windows Media.
What resolution, frame rate?

Is this good for a flatscreen TV:
Windows Media Export:
Video: 1024x576; 25.00 Frames/s; VBR Quality 75
Audio: 48000 Hz; Stereo; CBR 160 kBit/s

I think about just exporting it, and then use an other PC to burn it with... any better idea?

Kind regards

Stefan

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 7/23/2009, 7:58 AM
Hi Stefan,

It's not a problem that is specific to your burner. The pre-Windows 7 Magix programs generally don't support burning under Windows 7 at this point in time. I can think of different ways to work around the problem, all of which you have basically already pondered in your post above:

You could install the Magix software on a different computer that is running a completely compatible operating system and transfer your entire project over. This has to be done in the right manner, otherwise it can get pretty messy and won't work. You can't just copy your project file and the source files across, as the directory structures on the other machine will be different. You need to use the backup copy options in the "File" menu to create a portable backup first (e.g. by copying everything belonging to the project into a hard drive folder and then taking it across on a portable hard drive). Then you have to restore the backup on the other machine.

You could also mix down the video into a proper video file on the Windows 7 machine and then use another software to create the menus and author a video DVD from the video file. MPEG-2 export with the standard DVD preset would probably be the best idea here. (That's already the correct video format for DVD.) You'd then need a software that can author DVDs from video files. Try to take advantage of smart-rendering, so the entire file doesn't get re-encoded.

I'm not sure what stage of the burning process is failing. If the DVD image still gets encoded and the directory for it gets created on your hard drive, you won't even need a DVD-authoring program. You will just need a burning program to write the complete DVD image to disc. Make sure to rename the DVD image directory that holds the VOB files to "VIDEO_TS" first.

I hope this helps.