What is the best size to format my photographs to for slide shows that will be burned to DVD for best quality?

Caveman wrote on 1/27/2013, 4:57 PM

I have been sizing my images to 1024 X 768, but believe I should be using 1280 X 720 or higher to get a better image appearing in my slide shows.  If I am not burning in Blue Ray, but rather using a DVD, what is the highest size I should use?  I am using 16:9 format, but not sure what DVD DL means.  Is that better quality than just DVD?  Caqn I use it to burn DVD's?  Also, I am using video in my slide shows shot in high def.  Does the slideshow program downsize the quality automaticly, or does it stay at full resolution it was shot at?

I am using PhotoStory on DVD 2013 Delux, with windows 7.  My current slide show is 60 minutes long.  Can I go much longer than that?

Thank you, Brent.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/28/2013, 3:12 AM

Hi Brent

For still images I normally resize/crop to 2 x the horizontal / vertical resolution of the project so as to allow for some zooming and sharpen the image so you can just see the 'sharpening halos' appearing in the image on the computer screen - these normally disappear when the video is rendered.

DVD DL means a Dual Layer DVD disc - a standard DVD hold 4.7Gb of data a DL 8.5 - 8.7 Gb.

You can burn to DL disc providing your burner supports dual layer - however if your project is less than 2 hours long you can use a standard single layer DVD (+R or -R).

Wwhen you do use a DL disc for a longer movie you may get a slight pause in playback while the player switches layer- there is nothing you can do about this.

The project is down sized only on burning to DVD or exporting to another format which is different from the project resolution.

Tip: I do my inital burns to rewriteable DVD's of BD's as invariably I will tweak the project after seeing on a bigger screen - saves money

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/28/2013, 3:14 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.