What format should I use to burn a DVD for a slideshow? I need to make several DVDs to be compatible for everyone.

neelynet wrote on 6/16/2013, 3:46 PM

I have made a slideshow that I need to distribute on DVD to 31 families. Since I don't know what type of TVs, DVD players and computers they have, I want a format to be compatible for everyone. Should I just use DVD format for the disc format? I want the quality to be a nice as possible, but I also need to make sure everyone will be able to view it. Thank you for your help!

Comments

terrypin wrote on 6/16/2013, 4:15 PM

Hi,

Presumably you know something about your potential target audience? At the very least I would assume they all have a DVD player, so burn a standard DVD and post it to them. And why not ask each of them what other means they have,if any, for viewing videos, such as a Blu-Ray player or direct file input (e.g. via a WDTV device or similar).

Alternatively, if they all have PCs with at least one video player, forget about DVDs and upload an MP4 or format of your choice to an accessible host, and send them the link.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last changed by terrypin on 6/16/2013, 4:20 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

yvon-robert wrote on 6/16/2013, 11:13 PM

Hi,
Two solutions must be use:
Solution A: Up load to www.vimeo.com you need a free account and you can use a password to view the video (Privacy). That means you send an email where the video is available like www.vimeo.com/xxxxxxxxxxxx and the password to view the video.
In addition, you can use your own website and send a link to your viewers
Advantages: is fast, cost nothing to burn disk, packaging and mail.
Disadvantage: Viewers need a computer with a good Internet connection
Solution B:
Burn a regular DVD and support your audience for frustration and bad equipment.
Personally the solution A solve all my problem since I am guilty for nothing.

Regards,

YR  

johnebaker wrote on 6/17/2013, 2:08 AM

Hi

IMHO a DVd will probably be the best format to distribute the video

. . . Since I don't know what type of TVs, DVD players  . . .

All you really need to be certain of is what format the TV standard (or DVD region number)  of the country where the DVD is to be viewed.

for Europe and the UK or any Region 2 country the DVD should be PAL 25fps

for the US and any Region 1 country the DVD should be NTSC 29.97 (30) fps

. . . . and computers they have, . . .

Most computers can play DVD's even if they do not have dedicated software - Windows Media Player can play DVD's - you just don't always get the menus.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/22/2013, 2:39 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

terrypin wrote on 6/22/2013, 10:35 AM

It would be nice to know if our suggestions solved your problem.

--

Last changed by terrypin on 6/22/2013, 10:35 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

neelynet wrote on 6/22/2013, 3:06 PM

Thank you for help. I haven't the chance to work on the project since I asked the question. I am going to burn the DVDs using standard DVDs. That seems to be the most basic. I wish I could just post the video online, however I cannot. I am a teacher and the slideshow contains pictures of my students throughout the year. I am sending the DVDs to them. I would not be allowed to post it online.  (But that sure would make things easier ... and cheaper.)  Again, thank you!

terrypin wrote on 6/22/2013, 3:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback and good luck with the DVDs.

Last changed by terrypin on 6/22/2013, 3:11 PM, changed a total of 1 times.