What do I do with soundpools? ACID Pro 7

aaron-minervino wrote on 7/11/2017, 9:12 AM

I feel incredibly stupid.

Not knowing what a soundpool actually is(like the idiot that I am) I purchased some, thinking they were VSTI packages...

I later learned that a soundpool is a collection of loops.

Unfortunately I don't really need them because I want to make songs from scratch.

However now that I already bought and installed them I'd at least like to play around a bit.

I have no idea what to do with them, though.

So how do I use soundpools in ACID Pro 7?

How do I access them?

What do I do with them?

On a different note: Does anyone know good sources for VSTIs? Paid or free, no specific genre.

Comments

Musition wrote on 7/16/2017, 6:59 PM

Back when ACID was owned by Sony, Sony's website had a decent video tutorial section. I cannot find it so far on the Magix site - which is too bad. I had that page bookmarked and I just clicked on that bookmark. Unfortunately now it just redirects to the Magix site.

Soundpools are apparently what Magix is calling Sony's "Loop Libraries". I bought several of them myself a number of years ago. They're collections of 'wav' files, and you can easily drag and drop them into your project. Since the video tutorials are not anywhere to be found, I would just suggest going through the ACID manual to learn what to do with them. I assume a PDF file of some sort came with your purchase. As I recall, the manual was actually pretty well written.

As for free VSTs, I've used a couple sites:

http://www.vst4free.com/

and

http://www.vstplanet.com/

HTH!

aaron-minervino wrote on 8/8/2017, 2:24 PM

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I recieved a manual with Acid Pro 7. It's just so long that I haven't had the patience to take a deeper look into it yet, but I'll definitely do so in the future.

I'll have a look at those sites you've listed, too.

Much appreciated!

browj2 wrote on 8/9/2017, 9:30 AM

@aaron-minervino

You can try downloading and installing the free version of MusicMaker, add the soundpools, and then play with them. I don't have the free version so I don't know what the limitations are.

Note that recent Soundpools available under MusicMaker Store have a proprietary format and cannot be used with any other program, so be careful about purchasing them.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

frank18 wrote on 10/25/2017, 12:51 AM

.....and they (the newer soundpools) are not really royalty-free, so you cannot use them in commercial productions without additional fees. It´s better to purchase soundpacks at Loopmasters (f.e.) and use them in your projects. They are absolutely royalty-free.

robertNC wrote on 11/26/2017, 12:52 AM

Actually there are some commercial/royalty free soundpools, the ancient CDs from the mid 90s. As long as you have the physical CD, you can use them commercially, but they must be labeled commercial free on the casing. I think most ACID loop/Sony Sound series loops are commercial free also, again, provided that you own the media

digital_d wrote on 11/26/2017, 7:48 PM

I have used Acid Pro 7 for several years, but recently began using Magix Music Maker 2017 -- it came as a free program when I purchased Magix Movie Studio to replace my Vegas Movie Studio. I'm not certain that Soundpool loops can be directly used in Acid, as the Soundpools that came free with my Music Maker have extension of .hdp. The loops are used in Magix and I suppose the extension is what allows their functionality in Magix like the loops in Acid.

browj2 wrote on 11/27/2017, 7:04 AM

.. as the Soundpools that came free with my Music Maker have extension of .hdp. The loops are used in Magix and I suppose the extension is what allows their functionality in Magix like the loops in Acid.

Hi,

No, the extension .hdp is a temporary file that is created when you put a loop on the arranger. The loops supplied are either ogg, tak (midi files) or mxcogg which is a proprietary format of the ogg files that cannot be used in anything except the newer versions of Music Maker. There are also wav files of songs that may be available.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos