What are your thoughts on remix contests?

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/24/2018, 7:44 AM

Dear community,

Some of you (for example @kim-baker, @dj_doughy or @Former user etc.) mentioned, that they would be happy if remix contests would return.

I can't and won't promise anything at this point. For now, I just want to get your opinion.

I would appreciate it, if you could answer like this:

1. Would you be interested in participating in such a contest?
  2. What was the biggest strengths of past contests?
  3. What was the biggest weaknesses of the past contests?
  4. What do you think is an appropriate time frame for a contest?

I'm upfront about this: If something like a contest would happen, we, as the community itself and myself included, would need to organize most of it. This is something I have not discussed with my higher-ups yet, because I want to know your opinion first. 😉

Best regards,
Mathias

Comments

Former user wrote on 5/24/2018, 3:06 PM

I would participate, I loved to enter and remix big names like Madonna, Black Eyed Peas, Nine Inch Nails, Blue Man Group,Tommy Lee etc and even some of our own artists were up for remixing. There were prizes up for grabs such as Sony Acid, Vegas, Soundforge Software and loop libraries and at times the artist would offer their instruments. merchandise or the winning mix on their new and upcoming LP. David Bowie past contest prize was an Audi TT wow music software and laptop etc. I have been a finalist and runner up on remix contests and loved the prizes. These contests were open to all residents. Any weaknesses I would say would be down to the choice of Artists Sony chose for remixing, some were right turkeys lol. Time frame for remix contests would be up to 60 days I think if I can remember. We even had a shot at remixing music videos. I don't like the idea like other music websites were the individuals entry relies on their social media friends to vote for them, for example some guy creates an astonishing remix and has only 20 friends to vote and another guy enters his lousy horrible remix and has 400 social media friends, who do you think is going to win?

EnochtheRad wrote on 5/25/2018, 10:22 AM

Good idea to bring back some community to the new home I think. I remember a time when there would be as many as 5 contests open at a time

robertNC wrote on 5/25/2018, 12:26 PM

@Former user Yeah, a divided, weighted scoring system would be an option. My quick example is a score system based on popular vote from the public, a a panel vote of trusted listeners (mods, frequent uploaders, frequent board posters) , maybe a vote from Magix Staff, and maybe a vote from audio and music celebrities that would like to participate.

I'd say start small and see where it goes - there isn't much use in spending a lot of money on it, unless it begins to get popular

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:28 PM

@robertNC That’s right start small and see what response you get, then take it from there while promoting and growing your traffic of members to participate in said remix contests, choose the right artists for remixing and it’s in the bag basically, a winning formula.

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:57 PM

here is a list of all remix contests Mathius on Acidplanet.

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 1:59 PM

I was a winning finalist back in 2001 Boz Scaggs contest, I still have his cd album autographed.

E39 wrote on 5/25/2018, 2:15 PM

If I had time I would do it. The contests were the reason I joined AP and was lucky enough to win a few 😁

Former user wrote on 5/25/2018, 2:23 PM

Yeah peter you banged out some hot remixes.............

EnochtheRad wrote on 5/25/2018, 3:02 PM

1.participate? Yes

2. Strength- building community bonding

3. Weakness- open ended judging time

4. Time Frame 60 days; 30 to enter, 30 to judge.

Former user wrote on 5/27/2018, 11:48 AM

Mathius this is something of the format to acidplanet remix contest as you will see on this extracted web page.

FantaC-Electronica wrote on 5/28/2018, 12:29 PM

The only problem I see is getting big names to sign up might be difficult. I know ap used to host a few remixes of well known ap artists like Peach Stealing Monkeys, DJ Kenneth A and Eric Hogg. Maybe something like that would be a good place to start

Former user wrote on 5/28/2018, 2:13 PM

Here for example above is a live remix contest which offers stems to cater for various music software.

This site offers tutorials in how to use stems for remixing using various music software applications.

This would be an ideal setup at Magix and also useful in helping those new to music and remixing and those that have different software packages..

here is the link as well https://metapop.com/su-na/posts/using-stems-in-a-remix/10

Hopefully the moderator will allow this link as this topic is for ideas and suggestions on future remix contests at Magix if and when it happens. Now to find the artists, for example if the chosen genre was trance, Magix would look out for an up and coming trance artist looking for promotion and as FantaC mentioned what about your own artists based at Magix? As I am new here I have not checked other forums to see if you have a tutorial using Magix music software in working with stems for remixing.

Former user wrote on 5/28/2018, 3:02 PM

I would love to hear what the members at Magix think of a remix contest?

Revival wrote on 5/28/2018, 3:15 PM

I' m all in!

robin109 wrote on 5/28/2018, 4:38 PM

It's always a new quality for the community I am in favor of

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 5/29/2018, 5:30 AM

Hi everybody,

Thank you all for the input.

@Former user Yeah, a divided, weighted scoring system would be an option. My quick example is a score system based on popular vote from the public, a a panel vote of trusted listeners (mods, frequent uploaders, frequent board posters) , maybe a vote from Magix Staff, and maybe a vote from audio and music celebrities that would like to participate.

I'd say start small and see where it goes - there isn't much use in spending a lot of money on it, unless it begins to get popular

That's my concern. Honestly... my ressources are limited, this is why I think, the prizes could be MAGIX software and for now we have lots of MAGIX owned content we could remix. So yeah, starting small is the way.

@Former user Thanks for educating me about STEMS. 🙂

Former user wrote on 5/29/2018, 6:43 AM

RobertNC was discussing the divided scoring system from various areas and I thank him for his feedback, it’s true we need to start small as Robert and FantaC have mentioned. So I hope at some point we get to enter remix competitions, I know you are busy with the software side right now, so fingers crossed Mathius for now, cheers.

Former user wrote on 5/29/2018, 6:52 AM

Here is also how to remix a track tutorial for acid pro users, if anyone has better videos post them here please.

musicMD wrote on 5/30/2018, 4:11 PM

Yeah remix contest would be cool. When they had them at Acid Planet I didn't always enter them but I would sometimes download the loops to use later in other songs I would be working on. So it's a great way to get free loops.

Former user wrote on 5/30/2018, 4:24 PM

looks at MusicMD free loops LOL!! 😁

giulio-rasia wrote on 5/30/2018, 4:33 PM

- Yes, really interested in joining again Acid Remix Contest!

- The bigger strenght is the support of the comunity, rich of reviews and suggestions.

- The main weakness was the long time in closing contest.

- The appropriate time frame is 30- 40 days.

Best

Giulio

LooneyBinJim wrote on 6/4/2018, 6:39 PM

Remix Comps are a good thing.Its always good to take time out just to see what you come up with.Good to put your mix up for some real critique from the Artist whos track you mixed along with fellow Acid Users.I always found in the Remix comps people seemed genuine with there criticism.Comps only work if judged by original Artist or Producer label people Magix people ryc ... Not on how many plays someone got using ther 1000s of Social Media Friends(users).

frank18 wrote on 6/21/2018, 10:18 PM

would be great. I missed the contests on Acidplanet the last years....

Babis wrote on 6/22/2018, 11:42 AM

Dear community,

Some of you (for example @kim-baker, @dj_doughy or @Former user etc.) mentioned, that they would be happy if remix contests would return.

I can't and won't promise anything at this point. For now, I just want to get your opinion.

I'm upfront about this: If something like a contest would happen, we, as the community itself and myself included, would need to organize most of it. This is something I have not discussed with my higher-ups yet, because I want to know your opinion first. 😉

Best regards,
Mathias

Hello Mathias

1. Absolutely.

2. Chance to win gear (hardware and soft), opportunity to remix a hot or well known artist.

3. Controversial judging, poor quality stems (sometimes, not always), effected vocal stems (quite annoying but not earth shattering).

4. If by time frame you mean frequency of occurrence for the alleged contest(s) one every month or two would be nice.

(Finally we have a x64 AcidPro, i 've a ton of suggestions but i'll post all these later, on an appropriate thread. Keep up the good work, thanks a lot).

Cheers 🙂