Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/21/2019, 3:40 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

Without a lot more information from you any fellow-user is extremely unlikely to be able to help you!

First, please read this post and give us ALL the information requested there. In particular, since WDP demands a 64 bit OS, is your Win 7 64 bit?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Robert-Sellaro wrote on 1/21/2019, 10:23 AM
  • Processor: - Intel i5 M540
    Operating system: - Windows 7 SP1
    Memory: - 4 GB
  • Win 7 64 bit: Yes.
  • The PDF Manual does not cover installation.
  • I unpacked the installer and the problem seems to be MxDownloadManager.exe
    (The same type of flickering happens when I start it.) What does it do? Is there anything I can download manually?
  • When I start setup.exe manually then I receive a messagebox with the content:
    debug
    MGXID = ""
    MGXID2 = ""
  • And before you ask: Yes, I have disabled the antivirus.

Thanks for any support

emmrecs wrote on 1/21/2019, 11:34 AM

Hi, thanks for the additional information.

MxDownloadManager.exe is, essentially, the conduit through which ALL the files required for the complete initial installation are downloaded to your computer. Normally, you simply run it and it does what it says, downloads the files and installs them. It also normally offers you the option to save all the downloaded files so that you always have them available should you need to consider a repair or reinstall. Do you see any of the downloaded files on your computer?

Also, does the download manager have permission, in your firewall settings, to access the internet?

I'm not sure what you mean when you write

The same type of flickering happens when I start it.

The same as what?

One piece of information is missing from your spec: the type of your Hard Disk and how much free space it has.

I very much suspect the problem you are experiencing is due to some very small incompatibility between something on your computer and WD; finding exactly what may be more difficult.

HTH

Edit, to add: I see you say you unpacked the installer. I don't think you should do this, simply run it "as is".

Last changed by emmrecs on 1/21/2019, 11:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Robert-Sellaro wrote on 1/21/2019, 12:18 PM

Do you see any of the downloaded files on your computer?

No because MxDownloadManager.exe is closing just after the start. (But first the system will ask me if it is ok if the Installation Manager MxDownloadManager.exe will make changes in the system. I click "YES" of course)

Also, does the download manager have permission, in your firewall settings, to access the internet?

I have even switched off the firewall service. Generally I have no restrictions on outgoing connections. Additionaly I have added MxDownloadManager.exe to the exceptions.

The same as what?

The symbol that I see flickering when I start webdesigner16premium_dlm.exe is identical to the symbol that quickly appears when I start MxDownloadManager.exe

the type of your Hard Disk and how much free space it has.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB ATA Device, 127 GB free disk space

I see you say you unpacked the installer. I don't think you should do this, simply run it "as is".

Of course. But since webdesigner16premium_dlm.exe did not work I unzipped it and tried to analyse the content.

Does MxDownloadManager.exe try to access the URLs defined in Install.cfg? (They seem not to be accessible.)
[DownloadManager]
main*link_text=www.magix.com
main*link=http://rdir.magix.net/?page=LHF1E0ACJOHU
main*promo_link=http://rdir.magix.net/?page=LHF1E0ACJOHU

johnebaker wrote on 1/21/2019, 1:48 PM

@Robert-Sellaro

. . . . I unpacked the installer and the problem seems to be MxDownloadManager.exe . . . .

That will not tell you anything ie where the download is coming from which is what you would need to bypass the download manager..

. . . . The symbol that I see flickering when I start webdesigner16premium_dlm.exe is identical to the symbol that quickly appears when I start MxDownloadManager.exe . . . .

AFAICS that is correct the first exe runs the second exe to start the download.

The issue you are having would suggest either webdesigner16premium_dlm.exe (and MxDownloadManager.exe) either cannot access the Internet,although you should get a warning message about this, or your user permissions are insufficient to run the program - try right clicking the webdesigner16premium_dlm.exe and selecting Run as Administrator.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/21/2019, 1:49 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Robert-Sellaro wrote on 1/22/2019, 12:39 AM

Dear John,
Thanks for that. Of course I did "Run as Administrator".

I have installed many other programs on my PC, but this is the first time I encounter such a problem. (No error messages, just a flickering and finished.)

Robert-Sellaro wrote on 1/22/2019, 12:55 AM

Finally. After a system reboot and again all of the above it surprisingly worked.

It would have helped if the installer was a bit more verbose.

Thank you all for your support.