Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/28/2024, 9:21 AM

@kenrocks

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, can we clarify something? Is this a video that has been shot in Portrait format and you want to display it Landscape, or is the problem that the video is being displayed/played back "the wrong way around"?

The latter is very easy to resolve, the former not all easy without considerable compromise of the actual view as seen on screen.

For video being played the wrong way around, Effects>Orientation is what you need to use to rotate the video so it is "correct side up".

To display Portrait (9:16) video in Landscape (16:9) you need to make a number of compromises with regard to the final output. You can use the Size option of the Size/Position/Rotation effect BUT this will inevitably lead to either elements at the top and bottom of the footage being "cut off" if you drag the sides out so that they completely fill the screen and you wish to maintain the Aspect Ratio of your footage, or if you choose to not retain the original Aspect Ratio and simply drag out the sides of the images you will be left with footage that has all constituents of it appearing much, much wider than they actually are!

For additional information please read this forum thread. Although it is asking about an older version of Movie Studio the principles remain the same.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

kenrocks wrote on 1/29/2024, 5:25 AM

My problem is the former, I shot the video in portrait mode instead of landscape.

Will check your link.

Thanks!

browj2 wrote on 1/29/2024, 6:41 AM

@kenrocks

Hi,

I presume that you want you project to be landscape 16:9, so that is what your project parameters should be set to on the startup screen.

To complement what Jeff indicated, the image below shows a landscape project with a portrait mode video in the preview monitor. By default, the program takes the image and makes it as large as possible without cutting off anything.

In the Source Monitor at the right, I have selected a template under Design Elements, Image border effects. You can choose one of these or make your own background. The background would have to be on track 1 and your video on track 2 or a higher numbered track.

For what Jeff indicated about using Size/Position/Rotation to get the image to fill the screen, in the image below, you can see that the width is 607.5 and the height is 1080, so nothing is cut off.

To get the image to fill the screen, change the width to 1920, enter. The height will change to be much larger, in my case 3413.3 so the top and bottom get cut off.

You can move the image up or down as you wish, just don't move it sideways. If you do, use an edge button under position to get the left edge of the image to be the left edge of the window.

Better still, watch my tutorials on using Size/Position/Rotation. Here is the first one:

Watch all parts.

You may also want to watch this one about zooming in and out of the Preview Monitor window.

In the image below, I have zoomed out the Preview Monitor so that you can see the outline of the object. The image is actually filling the entire 1920x1080 window, so you can see that the top and bottom parts have been cut off and by how much. See the above tutorial to learn how to do this.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 1/29/2024, 7:03 AM

@kenrocks

Hi

On the few occassions I have to display portrait in a landscape project, I use either:

One of the progams presets in Templates, Design Elements, Image border effects basic, however many have animation backgrounds which I do not like.

For a static background I utilise the image/video clip twice as shown in the image below

Note this is from Movie Studio, however it also applies to Video Pro X.

Background image/video - you can use the same image/video clip as the portrait image/video or any other image/video you wish. My preference in most cases where the portrait object is a video clip, is to use an image exported from the video clip, using VPX to avoid colour clashes.

The green arrow indicated setting uncouples the height and width to stretch the background image/video clip. I prefer this to enlarging the whole image/video clip to fill the background.

Blurring - you can use any of the blur, sand, erosion etc effects as you desire.

Portrait image/video - the blue arrow indicated setting maintains the aspect ratio of the centre portrait image, by increasing the height or width and vertical position you can, in effect, crop the image as can be seen in the image above.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/29/2024, 7:05 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 3/11/2024, 4:43 AM

@tom_frank

Please follow the advice given by @AAProds (Al) and start a new thread.

Your post here has been hidden.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

tom_frank wrote on 3/11/2024, 3:15 PM

I did start a new thread after I got the alert.