Using Spectrum Analyzer in ACID Pro

Norm-Vork wrote on 1/13/2019, 5:39 PM

I want to use Voxengo Span to check out my frequency levels in ACID Pro 8. I know how to use vst fx plugins and vst synths, but how do you connect a spectrum analyzer? It's not really a synth or fx. How do you hook it up and view it? I've never used a mastering tool like this before and the youtube videos for the product only show how to use it once it is fully installed, up and running. 😵 I'm using windows 10.

Comments

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 1/13/2019, 5:43 PM

You will find Spectrum analyzers that are in VST format available, some for free. Just google it. I think Voxengo has one and there are a couple other free ones available as well. Use it as a plugin.

Will

Norm-Vork wrote on 1/13/2019, 7:49 PM

Thanks for your reply, Will. I do have Voxengo Span, a spectrum analyzer, which is a free download already. But what I do not understand is how do I access it through ACID? I know how to access my plugins for Fx in a audio track and for synths in a midi track. How do I run my project's master audio output thru the plugin?

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 1/15/2019, 5:56 PM

It is an FX. You "plug" it in and leave the window open. Just as if you were using a VSTi synth. It will read out as you play the song. If you want to analyze a track, load it into that track. If you want to analyze a Sub or even the master load it in there. You can load it on the master track within the mixer. Pics below:

Here you can see SPAN listed in the Plug-in Manager and I have it loaded on the master track in the mixer. Click & drag it from the Plug-in manager right onto the plug-in slot in the master channel and drop it.

You should see this window then. If not just click on "SPAN" again and it will open. Click and drag up the dotted vertical line just to the left of the preset dialog (it's highlighted blue in this pic) and the plug-in dialog will open. I will then look like this when you play your track(s):

You should be seeing a moving graph as you play your track. Be sure you are using 64bit SPAN (free version) and it is loaded in one or the other of your VST folders.

Good luck, hope it works but let us know if you need more help,

Will

Norm-Vork wrote on 1/15/2019, 6:08 PM

Thank you, Will. Exactly what I wanted to know. I may have messed up getting it into my folders or maybe not the right version as SPAN currently is not showing up in my plugin manager FX . I will try again. I really appreciate that you took the time to help me out!

Norm-Vork wrote on 1/15/2019, 8:27 PM

So the problem was actually my Plug-in Manager was not scanning the Steinberg folder where Voxengo puts the SPAN dll. I had to do a configure / force rebuild. It all works now! THANK YOU WILL !!!!

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 1/22/2019, 4:08 AM

@Norm-Vork

Glad it worked out for you!

Most everything I've learned about the software I use is from these forums. I will always try to give it back because that's the way to get what you need. So, come back and share what you learned with another. You will get back far more ......

Will