Uploading DV tapes via USB

robthehomer wrote on 8/7/2008, 5:47 PM
Hi all,

Newbie here with a question - sorry if this has been answered already. I have been using a laptop with Firewire to transfer SD DV tape footage to Movie Edit Pro 14 with no probs, however I am upgrading to a new more powerful laptop that has USB 2.0 only. I have tired uploading via USB before and the program just says it "cannot connect to the device" no matter which camcorder I use. Is it only possible to upload to the Magix software from a camcorder via firewire??

Comments

Man o' Lakes wrote on 8/8/2008, 4:53 AM
You can only upload DV material into MAgix software via firewire. Don' quite understand the term upgrade if you don't have firewire, but, that's ok. All you need to do to get around this problem if you already have your new laptop would be to import the DV file into Windows Movie Maker. Then you can import it from your hard drive into MEP.

siglersmalz wrote on 8/20/2008, 8:26 PM
Your laptop should have the old standard pcmcia slots on one side.  If so, you can purchase a pcmcia Firewire card, which are pretty cheap these days.

It's not clear how useful this magix.info resource is.  You should post your question at Boycalgary's unoffical MEP forum:
http://www.newdogdigital.com/Support_Board/viewforum.php?f=5

Someone will help you.