Comments

AgnosticX wrote on 4/7/2020, 5:46 AM

i have the same problem exactly :( same now with Acid 10. but no one is answer me,.... and that thing really stops me from buying it... i cant stand the dull default colour schemes

Gordon-Bentley wrote on 4/7/2020, 6:00 AM

One more nail in the coffin for me.

After kind of accepting the incompatibilities with several vsts, colours that can't be changed, no side-chains (promised for 10 but still not there), I spent about 8 hours trying to work on a song. After the 8 hours, I had exactly nothing to show, not one bit. Constant crashes, often when I stopped playback to save. Crashing with one track, crashes trying to use filters,....

I decided that I'd use the ableton live lite licence I got with my midi controller. I've only got 8 tracks, but it all works! No crashes after 3-4 weeks. Almost every vst I've tried works. And it's a way "deeper" product that i doubt I'll ever outgrow.

I'll now save up for a full licence. In the meantime I'll pretend I've only got an 8 track mixer and do what people did in the 80's.

sheppo wrote on 4/7/2020, 7:24 AM

Yeah, there's definitely something janky going on with saving custom colours. I'd been using custom automation envelope colours for some time now, and never had issues saving them, so maybe I got lucky. But, upon trying it now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't reproduce it either way consistently. I'm on the latest beta of 10, and ~50% WERFault kicks in on closing acid, which suggests it might not be saving settings if it crashes on close... the best, most consistent way I found to edit the colours was to open acid with a blank project, and edit the colours there, then immediately quit the app, then reload it.

Either way I'll report this on the beta forum as an issue for AP9 and AP10

I also have ableton, i see it as just another tool in my toolbox to call upon. It's UI has some quirks that I simply hate to the point of creating custom autohook scripts in an attempt to work around them, and the beat mapping is really picky - as much as people go on about how good it is I just find the beatmapping workflow in Acid infinitely better. I guess I'm saying each to their own. :)

Side-chaining is in the current beta for AP10 and offers some additional controls that ableton does not.. so things are definitely progressing along.

Gordon-Bentley wrote on 4/7/2020, 7:48 AM

Thanks for the response. I contemplated posting this in it's own thread, but didn't really want it to be an ad for ableton. Not the right spot for that.

As you say, horses for courses. I'm enjoying learning about what live can do. To me it feels more "open ended", I don't feel like I'm banging my head against the edges.

I enjoy using ACID. I initially got into it about 15 years ago and had a lot of fun with it. I retired a couple of years ago and was looking for things to do to fill in my day.

So I picked up a copy and started "playing about". But it didn't really seem to be much more advanced than it was 15 years ago, and I recognised a lot of the samples and loops.

I'd kind of expected that it would have been developed to the same degree as Fruity Loops and Ableton, both of which were just taking off back then.

I was disappointed more than anything.

Former user wrote on 4/7/2020, 4:42 PM

Yeah, there's definitely something janky going on with saving custom colours. I'd been using custom automation envelope colours for some time now, and never had issues saving them, so maybe I got lucky. But, upon trying it now sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't reproduce it either way consistently. I'm on the latest beta of 10, and ~50% WERFault kicks in on closing acid, which suggests it might not be saving settings if it crashes on close... the best, most consistent way I found to edit the colours was to open acid with a blank project, and edit the colours there, then immediately quit the app, then reload it.

Either way I'll report this on the beta forum as an issue for AP9 and AP10

I also have ableton, i see it as just another tool in my toolbox to call upon. It's UI has some quirks that I simply hate to the point of creating custom autohook scripts in an attempt to work around them, and the beat mapping is really picky - as much as people go on about how good it is I just find the beatmapping workflow in Acid infinitely better. I guess I'm saying each to their own. :)

Side-chaining is in the current beta for AP10 and offers some additional controls that ableton does not.. so things are definitely progressing along.

Since you might have a better connection to get your message across to Magix, can you please ask for the following:

1. Stop the auto load of samples when double clicking from explorer. Acid was the only DAW which had this feature where you double click an audio sample, it creates an EMPTY track on the arrangement ready to be painted. I would be 3 minutes in a song, double click a sample in explorer, only later to find out in export that the same sample is sitting in the beginning. Not sure who thought this was a great idea?!

2. When using Midi piano roll, the play cursor only plays in the Piano roll but not in the arrangement. The only way this works is if we paint midi in "inline midi".

3. PLEASE-this is huge for me, give us more GUI color schemes. Both the Dark and Light display are horrible. Dark display option is useless, but the light option seems like Dark was just inverted. Please at least put in a classic color option like version 7.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

And these are humble requests. I have already looked for others with same issues and have posted, yet version 10 came out, I paid another 100 dollars and still struggling. I love Acid Pro and just don't have the same flexibility of pick and paint, and the way explorer is, in any other DAW on the planet. Everyone else sucks! Just too linear and bland for my brain.

Thank you...as humble as I can be.

sheppo wrote on 4/8/2020, 11:16 AM

@Gordon-Bentley oh yeah, for sure, Magix have a lot of ground to make up after Sony left Acid for dead for so many years. The dev team seem really keen to genuinely make the product better and push for innovation. x64 support, VST bridge, VST3, Morph Pads are all things that mean a lot to me that they've done in recent versions. Sure though, there's loads more for them to do!

@Former user - I've posted point 1 already. The way audio clips are added, not just from the explorer is counter intuitive. For me it's rendering a selection to a new track creates a new track with the audio at the start, not at the selection. It's a small thing in both cases, but one that just streamlines the workflow massively over time.

I understand point 3 too, I just wish there was some consistency between Acid and Vegas. As I can see the current betas are currently about promised features and bug squashing, so I suspect this one wont be super high on their priority. But hey, I'm just a regular dude, what do i know. We can hope!

Point 2 though, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you able to record a video explaining what the issue is?

Former user wrote on 4/8/2020, 3:05 PM

@Gordon-Bentley oh yeah, for sure, Magix have a lot of ground to make up after Sony left Acid for dead for so many years. The dev team seem really keen to genuinely make the product better and push for innovation. x64 support, VST bridge, VST3, Morph Pads are all things that mean a lot to me that they've done in recent versions. Sure though, there's loads more for them to do!

@Former user - I've posted point 1 already. The way audio clips are added, not just from the explorer is counter intuitive. For me it's rendering a selection to a new track creates a new track with the audio at the start, not at the selection. It's a small thing in both cases, but one that just streamlines the workflow massively over time.

I understand point 3 too, I just wish there was some consistency between Acid and Vegas. As I can see the current betas are currently about promised features and bug squashing, so I suspect this one wont be super high on their priority. But hey, I'm just a regular dude, what do i know. We can hope!

Point 2 though, I'm not sure what you mean. Are you able to record a video explaining what the issue is?

Thank you for posting the other points. I will try to record a video (have never made a screen video). But what I mean is, lets say I have a midi track & piece in arrangement, I double click it, a piano roll opens on the bottom, Now, I hit play on the arrangement (main window), the song starts playing, but the play head in the Piano roll will not move. On the contrary, if I hit play INSIDE the piano roll, the arrangement window's play head will sit still, meaning either the main song will play and piano roll won't, and vice-versa.

If this works for you, maybe I have a buggy version? I am using latest version 10. Just upgraded few days ago. I have had the same since I been upgrading from version 7, 8, 9 and now 10. Same issue. So I have been using Cubase to use VSTs and render, then bring them into Acid.

Regardless of all these problems, I still appreciate that someone at Magix is probably trying hard to get it right. Acid still can't be replaced with any other DAW for me so I keep paying for the upgrades.

Hope it makes sense.

Thank you.

NicoKiri wrote on 4/9/2020, 2:50 AM

Running Acid Pro 9 Next on Windows 10

If I change the available track colours in the Display tab of the Preferences dialog, they revert to the originals as soon as Acid is restarted

How do we make them stick?

Thanks

Thanks for reporting, that's actually a bug. The bugfix will be included in the next patch.

Greetings

Nico