Struggling with Slide Show

sharonkinsey wrote on 10/5/2011, 9:21 AM

I am attempting to put together a slide show for my recent high school reunion.  I purchased Photostory 10 based on reviews of ease of use.  Perhaps I am missing something.  I imported my photos and I think I've got all my music files loaded except now I have to check to be sure they are all valid formats.  I cannot find a tutorial to save my life and I find the on line help almost unintelligible (I only have a law degree so I'm probably handicapped a little).  I am very computer literate and have used thousands of programs - this one does not appear to be intuitive.  Anyone planning a book "Photostory 10 for Dummies?"  Sign me up.

Anyway - if someone could give me a few very simple ideas on how to do the following:

Add a title slide before the slide show - not using one of the photos

Add music (multiple songs) that will sync with the photos

I understand how ot add fade - but how does background work with fade?  

Assure me that I'm not as stupid as I sound! :-)

Sharon

Comments

jackiet147 wrote on 10/11/2011, 12:57 PM

Hi Sharon,

To make a title page....the easiest thing I found was to take a few pictures of just a plain surface, a wall or anything, then add title to that. That is definately something that the Magix people should have thought of. To add your music, well as Magix won't accept i tunes I find the easiest thing to do is to make a playlist (presuming of course, you have i tunes)! then burn a disc on a RW CD then leave in the drive. Then go to the CD icon on Magix and it loads. Hope you understand what I mean! Jackie

sharonkinsey wrote on 10/11/2011, 3:25 PM

Jackie,

Thanks - yes I know exactly what you mean.  Seems like it should not be this hard to do something so simple.  Still hoping for that Phtostory For Dummies book :-)  Has anyone ever asked these guys why they do not provide tutorials?  Do they not understand that Americans are slower than Europeans :-)  We need it spelled out for us!

Thanks again.  

Sharon

Peterman wrote on 11/12/2011, 7:40 AM

Hello. Like many users of this program, I was initially very frustrated with what seemed to me some of the non-intuitive functions, and the lack of the kind of documentation I am used to, and i understand your feelings. With time, I have come to appreciate the many strenghts of Photostory, although I still have questions I wish I could find clear answers to.

One thing that frustrated me for quite a long time was the isue you raise: how do place a title at tyhe beginning, with no photo. For quite a while, I used the solution suggested here. I created a blck slide in photoshop, and used it whenever I needed black with no photo. I thought that was clever, and thought Magix a little retarded not to have provided one with the program. Later I discovered a more simple and elegant solution: simply create your title at the beginning, with the first photo, and then select all the elements in the slidewhow except the title, and move them to the right in the timeline, and voilà!

chrisjw37 wrote on 12/3/2011, 2:09 AM

Title

There is a dedicated 'Title tab' in the right had window!

or use intro and outro - same place. Tip - drag the effect 'icon' from the tab window onto the left part of the frame that needs the effect. If wrong place ensues, Edit, Undo or press CTRL + Z (that works everywhere in Windows)

It IS in the help file, Help or F1 - I can see it now.

Want a blank title before the pictures?

Drag the entire project to the right and then drag the Title box to the left, adjust the fade slider on the title and voila.

It's very simple and I only have a medical science degree, not a posh law one, hehe!

Music

Just drag them onto the lower track and they will stick there - if you just want to do them sequentially and automatically - double click the music track and it'll auto insert at the cursor position.

Can't see the music track - the first view is 'objects' that allows you to switch around the pictures to get the order right. On the left hand side of the tracks are lil icons - hover t' mouse over them - a pop up tells you what the do - the second one shows the music and title track lines - think of them like train lines and position the stuff next to the relevant section.

Cross fade - simple way - drag one track onto the end of another - it will auto mix - just like that. You can also fade them  thers a lil box at the end, drag it inwards to make a slope, done.

Tutorials.

Crap loads - try the HELP menu and its there - lots of video tutorials!

Shortcut CTRL + F1 opens it - just tested it in the program - full screen too!

The Wizard - usually opens up when you start - has a tutorial video right there in the box; plus it will create your first project.

or

FILE Menu, Wizards!   just like that.

Unless you have a cut down demo - its all there and in the retail box it has a small book that tells you everything.

This really is the simplest program for visual craetion I have ever used and I gave it to a friend who is not PC literate and she managed her first slideshow in 20 minutes - Nursing Graduation party - lots of drunk (happy) females, now thats pain to edit, trust me.

Surefoot wrote on 1/9/2012, 10:24 PM

Hi Sharon,

I hope you DVD turned out. I must agree there seems to be little info as in tutorials. It took me a long time to get used to the program. I'm still working out some bumps in the road. I suppose  the developer wanted us to throw all the slides in press two buttons and walla!

Last changed by Surefoot on 1/9/2012, 10:24 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

I'm presently working on a DVD, trying to clean sound from nature recordings I've made. Wow, what a long study. Tutorials are hard to find. I also do may forms of visual arts, carving ,photography, etc. I sure could use some help using music studio 14, not to forget all the batch filing difficulties with photos.

I've taken mostly bird photos so far this summer. I will concentrate on mostly nature and possibly some scenics to add to my DVD,later this fall.(2012 july)

robbo36 wrote on 2/12/2012, 7:49 PM

Hi Sharon,

Stay with it, it's a great program.

First save say 6-8 or so pics on your desktop, give it a name. the open slideshow & watch Introductory Video on the right hand side. Then if necessary exit & open again. Check 1) CREATE NEW PROJECT MANUALLY, 2) fit to monitor, 3) wide screen 16:9 for letterbox size, give project a name (say test01)

MEDIA TAB:

Hit left arrow 3 times or until you reach your desktop (in top bar under FADES TITLE FX Tabs), then drag entire folder onto the STORY BOARD at lower screen. You will notice (3) ICONS to the lower left, hold you mouse on each one. The top one is for re-arranging your pics, the midle one is the Story Board, the bottom one is the TIMELINE.

This one is for adding music, etc. all is shown in the intro video

hope this helps.