Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/13/2022, 6:45 AM

@Eugene-Waldron

Hi

In Windows settings, Apps look for any of the following programs, they are the various names used over many years, and uninstall it:

Magix Cloud Import, Update Notifier, Magix Connect, Magix Network Sync .

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Mart44 wrote on 2/13/2022, 5:30 PM

I don't have any of those programs mentioned.

I kept getting a Magix message saying, 'Renew the Update Service'. When clicked on, Windows asked permission to let it run but when 'Yes' was clicked nothing happened. I thought it might be something to do with the AV program but it still happened with the protections disabled. The message showed again on the Desktop when the program was closed. This occurred every time Photo & Graphic Designer was opened and closed. It got annoying in the end. My Update Service is valid until the 8th of May 2022.

There may be a reason someone can give but until then, I have renamed a file called 'Service_rel_u_x64_vc12.exe' to 'ervice_rel_u_x64_vc12.exe to stop it operating (located in the UPS folder). This stops the problem but it would be good to now why this message kept occurring.

emmrecs wrote on 2/14/2022, 3:57 AM

@Mart44

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

By default the notification to Renew Your Update Service starts to appear anything up to three months or so before the actual renewal becomes due! For obvious reasons (I hope) Magix want you to renew and don't want you to "miss out"!

Renaming that file will certainly stop the messages but will also prevent any Magix app checking for updates so you may need to trigger such checks manually from within the program.

However, it seems from your post that you actually want to renew but are being prevented from connecting to the Magix server. Is that the case? If so but you cannot connect, as you say, this is often caused by the user's AV or firewall. Which AV/Firewall do you have?

Unfortunately, even disabling these (assuming you are using third-party ones) can still result in no connection because the built-in default of Windows Defender then "takes over". Then, you need to "persuade" WD that the connection is quite safe by editing its connection rules!

If all else fails I think you should be able to renew if you email infoservice@magix.net, explain the problem and ask for their help in renewing your Update Service.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Mart44 wrote on 2/14/2022, 5:30 AM

I have Bitdefender Internet Security installed. It hadn't occurred to me that the Windows AV and firewall would start to function again when turning off Bitdefender's protections (including the firewall), so I will re-enable the file and look into that. Thanks for your help and interest. 🙂

browj2 wrote on 2/14/2022, 12:25 PM

@Eugene-Waldron

Hi,

Is this what you mean?

This is not for updating the main program, just for updating the app that keeps track of the Update Service period, or something like that.

Just do it. It should go away. It shows up for each Magix program when opened until it has been updated for each.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Roger-Nelson wrote on 2/14/2022, 1:49 PM

Directed to look at these posts after posting a similar request about the update service wanting to renew. They don't seem to help ! The service worked when I needed to update and since an update this app keeps wanting to renew ! I don't see why it should need firewall permissions changing no other apps do. It is a nuisance having to clear it every time I use the otherwise excellent software.

Roger N

Julian-Dobbie wrote on 2/14/2022, 2:11 PM

I have this same issue and nothing helps. I click on Yes and the next time I open Sound Forge it comes back every time. It only started a week ago, it's annoying. Any suggestions? Perhaps I will try deleting that service***.exe file. Also it seems impossible to actually contact anyone in a support role at Magix. May need to move to a different program where you can actually get some assistance. In my experience Forums are worthless.

Mart44 wrote on 2/14/2022, 2:13 PM

@Eugene-Waldron

Hi,

Is this what you mean?

This is not for updating the main program, just for updating the app that keeps track of the Update Service period, or something like that.

Just do it. It should go away. It shows up for each Magix program when opened until it has been updated for each.

John CB

Yes. that is it. I only have Photo & Graphic Designer and have allowed the process many times over. It was either a very quick update or it was the case that nothing was happening. I suspect the latter because of the numerous times the message appeared.

johnebaker wrote on 2/15/2022, 9:07 AM

@Mart44

Hi

After clicking the Start installation, did you get a popup asking permission to install the update?

If not, did you check if it was under the current active software window.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/15/2022, 9:07 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Mart44 wrote on 2/15/2022, 9:37 AM

I did get the permission pop-up (UAC) after the 'Start installation' button was clicked. Permission given each time.

johnebaker wrote on 2/16/2022, 4:41 AM

@Mart44

Hi

Check that your Antivirus program is not blocking the installation of the Update Service.

I have updated mine with no issues, other than I have several Magix programs installed and each one required their own Update Service installing.

John EB

Mart44 wrote on 2/16/2022, 6:20 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know it's difficult to come up with a definitive answer when not everyone running the program gets a reported problem. In those cases, I think it must be something to do with the individual installation or system rather than the program itself.

Short of actually uninstalling Bitdefender Internet Security. I can't be sure it isn't that but will say that Photo & Graphic Designer has been running along with Bitdefender for years. It's only recently the message has been constantly popping up. An update/conflict with one program or the other is the cause perhaps.

I don't want to experiment by uninstalling Bitdefender and just generally start messing with the system that is otherwise working perfectly.. I have tried all other ways such as disabling all protections and making exceptions in the defences here and there but nothing helps. Not to worry, I have found the way mentioned earlier that stops the message and will do that until the annual renewal is due. It doesn't seem to prevent the program working as expected.