site under construction after publishing site with xara web designer 10 premium

bbunton wrote on 4/15/2015, 9:30 AM

I have been using xara 6 for about 2 years and I have been very happy with it. I purchased xara web designer 10 premium and updated my website. I saved the site, exported it and published it. Now when I go to the web site it says it's under construction. Just to verify everything I went back to xara 6 and published the site. Same problem, "this site is under construction".  In ftp mode I can see all of the files and everything looks good. But I can't see the website. bunton.magix.net/public. Help!!

Windows XP (SP3) 32 bit

IE6 and Firefox 37.0.1

PC with 4Gb ram

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/15/2015, 12:41 PM

Hi

Check that when you uploaded the website it did not go into a folder.

Eg if the site was created in a folder on your PC called Website and you uoloaded the folder then it will appear in a folder of the same name.

Also your home page must be called one of the following index.htm or index.html - it must not be named anything else.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/15/2015, 12:41 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

bbunton wrote on 4/16/2015, 8:59 AM

Thanks John for the prompt reply.

When I publish the website it always puts it in the "public" folder and has always worked in the past. The file (website ftp) breakdown is webftp>>

bunton.magix.net>> (the index.htm file live here)

public>>

all of the web site data shows up here.

When I publish the site it always wants to name the site index a.htm. At first I let it do that but when the site didn't work  I changed it to index.htm. Still doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BB

johnebaker wrote on 4/16/2015, 4:24 PM

Hi

Login to your website account here  and select the Your Homepage, Start website FTP option and see if the folder structure and index.htm is correct as shown below - note there is no public folder on mine.

If you can post a screenshot of the page showing the folder structure.

. . . .  it always puts it in the "public" folder . . . .

I presume you mean the Public folder on your computer ?

. . . . it always wants to name the site index a.htm . . . .

By default the program always calls the homepage index.htm

Check your publishing settings to see if there is a subfolder set - see image below

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/16/2015, 4:25 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

bbunton wrote on 4/17/2015, 8:37 AM

Hi John,

Once again thanks,

The "public" folder is under "bunton.magix.net". Xara 6 put it there originally and I didn't change it. It did work in the past.

I think I fixed the "index a" issue thanks to you.

I can't fifure out how to reply to you  so I'm just answering my own questions.

I tried a ping to "bunton.magix.net" and received an unreachable reply.  Then did a ping to "bunton.magix.net/public" but received the same answer.

whois says the site should be valid but I still can't get anything but "under construction"

I did add the google analytics snippet to the web site via xara web designer 10 premium but when the site didn't work I took it out. Still doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

BB

johnebaker wrote on 4/17/2015, 6:36 PM

Hi

Thanks for the screen shot that helped a great deal.

. . . . The "public" folder is under "bunton.magix.net" . . . .

If you want the website address to be bunton.magix.net  then that is the problem - the website is viewable at bunton.magix.net/public/

Look at the root folder specified in Xara for publishing the website to and the root folder used for the FTP settings.

I suspect that they are not the same ie the FTP setting is one folder up from what the Publishing folder is set to. ie the Publish to folder path is eg somefolder/public but the FTP setting is somefolder.

Alternatively you could manually create a redirect oage and drop it into the root folder of bunton.magix.net

Using any plain text editor eg Notepad, paste the code below into it and save as index.html then use a FTP program to upload it to the root folder of your website.

Code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html lang="en-US">
<head>
<meta charset="UTF-8">
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://bunton.magix.net/public/" />
<title>Page Redirection</title>
</head>
<body>
<p><a href="http://bunton.magix.net/public">Click this link if the page does not redirect</a></p>
</body>
</html>

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/17/2015, 6:50 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

bbunton wrote on 4/21/2015, 8:35 AM

Thanks John,

With your help I have the site working now. I fixed the index  a.htm issue and then saved, exported and published the site. I let it put the index.htm file where it wanted (in the past I put it in the project folder) and the site now comes up and works great.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

BB