SF18 crashes when loading a file.

kenny-jure wrote on 4/30/2024, 10:19 AM

I just upgraded from SF14 pro to 18 pro. 14 was crashing every time I loaded a wav or MP3 file. I figured an upgrade to 18 would probably fix the issue but it does the same thing. I bought a new computer recently with Windows 11 and down loaded SF14. it worked for a while then this issue started. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the program with no change. It would crash every time I loaded a sound file. After upgrading to SF18 The same problem is happening. I can no longer use Sound Forge at all. Thinking it might be a windows 11 issue I did some testing with another lap top computer I have that uses Windows 11 and SF 18 has no issues at all on the laptop. I have no idea what is causing the crash. My best guess is that this new computer has some security setting that Sound Forge doesn't like. I turn to the Sound Forge Community for help. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kenny

Comments

rraud wrote on 4/30/2024, 11:09 AM

You could try resetting Sound Forg14 and/or 18 in the 'File' menu.. however I would surmise it is a PC related issue. Some folks have had issues with MP3 files and resetting usually resolves that issue. There are no common problems with PCM wave files in any version of Sound Forge.
Confirm no audio application are running in the background and seizing the audio device, You could try changing the audio device in SF's "Options> Preferences> Audio" menu. MS Sound Mapper and Windows Classic Wave drivers are usually trouble-free in PCs with internal soundcard.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @kenny-jure.

kenny-jure wrote on 4/30/2024, 1:38 PM

Thanks for the kind welcome. I will try your suggestions when I'm back at the computer.

kenny-jure wrote on 4/30/2024, 4:08 PM

That did it. I went into the menu and reset it and everything is working as intended. Thanks again for the help.

Barlow_Snerd wrote on 7/8/2024, 8:17 PM

My Sound Forge Pro 15 would crash every time I loaded a wav or MP3 file, and resetting in the 'File' menu solved the problem.