Responsive website design

rollochris wrote on 1/19/2014, 1:49 AM

Does anyone know whether Web Designer 9 Premium provides the ability to make  the resultant website responsive? I.e. Rescales regardless of what device the website is viewed on, in landscape or portrait mode. I have used WD9 for a couple of websites (based on their templates) but haven't been able to work this out or find the answer anywhere.

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 1/19/2014, 6:30 AM

Hi,

I am a little confused with your question.  you say that your question is about Digital Photo Maker and in the content of the message you talk about Web Designer 9 Premium.  Which product are you really asking about and are you trying to scale the site to display on mobile devices and Pc/Laptop devices?  I just do not get it from your post.  More detail please.  I use web designer to create web sites and I can scale them to fit on virtually any display.  I am just having some trouble understanding what "Digital Photo Maker" had anything to do with scaling your site.

George

gandjcarr wrote on 1/19/2014, 6:31 AM

Hi,

I am a little confused with your question.  you say that your question is about Digital Photo Maker and in the content of the message you talk about Web Designer 9 Premium.  Which product are you really asking about and are you trying to scale the site to display on mobile devices and Pc/Laptop devices?  I just do not get it from your post.  More detail please.  I use web designer to create web sites and I can scale them to fit on virtually any display.  I am just having some trouble understanding what "Digital Photo Maker" had anything to do with scaling your site.

George

rollochris wrote on 1/19/2014, 7:33 AM

Very good point. The funny thing is that when I tried to post this question, there was no option for Web Designer in the lull-down menu! So I went for the nearest option.

The latest HTML5  iteration is to  facilitate  responsive design, i.e.  the page sizes automatically scale according to what device user side is being used to view the website. See for instance here http://html5up.net

I'm relatively inexperienced but another website I'm involved with as webmaster is responsive and re-scales to suit smartphone, iPad, laptop, PC whatever.

browj2 wrote on 1/19/2014, 11:27 AM

Hi,

Further to George's comments, my couple of web sites using Xara templates scaled to fit my tablet in landscape mode, and both modes on my phone, and I did not do anything to get this. In portrait mode on my phone, I get the full height when I open the website; in landscape I get the full width. On my tablet (BB Playbook) in portrait mode, the site does not fill the screen, only about 2/3 down. I can resize it larger but not smaller. Of course I just turn my tablet to landscape.

Did you try making a test site to see the rescaling outcome on various peripherals?

This is not the best forum for Xara web design as there are not many Q/A's. You may also want to join the Xara community at the Talkgraphics forum:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/

There is a section all about web design using Xara and you can get excellent help.

Regards,

Last changed by browj2 on 1/19/2014, 11:27 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 1/19/2014, 3:31 PM

Hi

The simple answer is no, you are at the mercy of the individual devices web browser, for example Safari, particularly on the iPhone, iPad, is very fussy about tables and CSS formatting.

You have to make sure that your HTML5 is fully up to the standard - you can do this using the W3C validation service.  Fixing any issues can be a PITA.

Even then there may be some display issues because certain browsers (no names mentioned - though I do think I already mentioned one of them   ) are still not strictly compliant to the standards.

A responsive website is down to how you design the pages and more importantly the hosting company you are using - many cheap hosting services cram thousands of websites onto shared servers resulting in a high loading which slows down the sites responsiveness.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/19/2014, 3:31 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

rollochris wrote on 1/19/2014, 4:09 PM

Thanks johnebaker. What you say sounds very credible.

However, it seems that RWD is the coming thing and I am seeing lots of websites which perform RWD very well even using Safari on an iPad. It seems it's down to relative page and image elements rather than absolute ones.

Perhaps it is something we will see (and pay for the relevant upgrade) in later versions of  WD.

rollochris wrote on 1/20/2014, 4:16 AM

I've had this response from MAGIX supprt, which bears out what I had suspected:

I'm afraid due to the nature of the principles that Web Designer is based on and its technical implementation (i.e. WYSIWYG, no separation between content and layout, fixed screen sizes) it cannot currently implement any principles of responsive web design.