Recording audio not working correctly in Movie Studio 2025 Platinum

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/16/2024, 11:37 AM

I bought Movie Studio 2025 Platinum because Video Easy has become unstable (only recording in one channel, but first vid plays fine on playback, but second vid doesn't and the program is no longer supported).

I just went to try making a video with Movie Studio and it doesn't work correctly. I tried doing a voice over, it connected to my mic and everything fine, but there are no indicators what so ever to know when I am recording or if I am clipping, etc.! Indicators are a MUST HAVE! I had to just guess I was recording and when I played it back it was super noisy! I looked in the settings of Movie Studio and there is nothing for Audio input!!!! My settings on my PC and microphone are as they should be.

This is awful and unusable for me! I need a video editing program I can at least attempt top learn (I liked Video Easy) and Movie Studio is a challenge in itself, but with it not working properly?! How am I supposed to do voice over?

I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed and not just how the program operates.

It is hard enough dealing with the messy interface of Movie Studio.

I feel like I bought vaporware. I have had nothing but problems with Magix software. I also bought SoundForge Audio Lab and am now afraid to try it.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/16/2024, 1:51 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi

Select the option indicated below to get the record interface with level meters, do ensure you set the samplerate to DAT 48kHz.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/16/2024, 2:44 PM

Thank you so much John! I just tried it and there it is! I never would have guessed to click that icon to get what I need! That should automatically come up when one clicks on the red dot to record! They need to fix that.
It is too late today for me to work on anything now, but I thank you for showing this. I don't recall seeing it in the manual, but that may be a memory fail on my part. It is like trying to read Chinese for me because I don't understand video editing at this point, I'm trying to teach myself because that is the only way. Having a complex video editor doesn't help. I only just figured out how to make it sort of look like Video Easy (Storybook), but I need to make it cleaner, which may not be possible because I need the preview window and side window open all the time. I want to learn how to use the timeline mode because many tell me it is easier, but I don't see how, it looks messier to me. So I'll save that for later if I get to the advanced level, which is likely why they say it is easier, because they are advanced.

Thank again for your help, maybe I'll be able to do something next weekend. I need to redo a couple of videos I made in Video Easy for starters.

Magix is sending me emails with lessons, which is appreciated, but I am petrified to look at them because I won't understand a single word. I need to know how to use the program in the basics first.

johnebaker wrote on 6/17/2024, 1:16 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi

The Magix Capture is a new 'feature' which can be used as a standalone as well as in program, whether it has some Automatic Gain Control I cannot determine. You will find in many parts of the interface hovering the mouse over an icon (button) popups a 'hint' on what it does.

The terminology can be daunting, and the Glossary in the manual only covers selected technical 'jargon', additionally there is no consistent common terminology, between the different brands of video editors, many are 'hangovers' from the days of film.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

browj2 wrote on 6/17/2024, 6:37 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

As has been pointed out, use the legacy recording feature. Note that there are more parameters under Advanced.

Unless you have a stereo mic, you will want to check the box for Mono recording under Advanced.

I suggest always checking Normalize after recording. This will give you a proper wave form that you can adjust on the timeline using the object volume curve. And, drop the output gain of the track by 1 or 2 dB in the Mixer.

Make sure that Recording quality is DAT which gives you the correct sample rate of 48 kHz.

The mic input gain is controlled by Windows, not the program. Click on Record level to open the Windows sound interface. Double click on the mic that has been selected in Movie Studio, levels gain, adjust the gain to what you want to avoid clipping. I have an audio interface (M-Audio M-Track) so I set the input level to 100% in Windows, and I can adjust the level downwards on my interface.

Now that you have Movie Studio, you have access to some object audio cleaning tools by double-clicking on an audio object. Also, you can use FX in the mixer for cleaning and adding effects at the track level. And, in the Mixer, you have access to any third party effects (VST2 only) that you may have.

You say that you bought SoundForge Audio Lab (missing the word Cleaning) or SFACL 4. You can use this to do further work on your audio files. Unfortunately, it won't load the file if used from Movie Studio as the external audio editor unless Magix fixed it in 2025, which I doubt - bug for SFACL/Video Pro X has been raised and needs more users to complain.

You can also use SFACL to do narration and import the resulting wav file(s) into the video editor and put them at the appropriate locations.

SFACL has a spectral cleaning tool for fixing certain problems.

There are other variations of the same theme.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/17/2024, 7:35 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi

The Magix Capture is a new 'feature' which can be used as a standalone as well as in program, whether it has some Automatic Gain Control I cannot determine. You will find in many parts of the interface hovering the mouse over an icon (button) popups a 'hint' on what it does.

The terminology can be daunting, and the Glossary in the manual only covers selected technical 'jargon', additionally there is no consistent common terminology, between the different brands of video editors, many are 'hangovers' from the days of film.

John EB

I don't know about or have "Magix Capture" and have no use for it as far as I know. (This is confusing enough, I don't need extra stuff). 
I need to do voice over inside the video editor program, not separate (I can't even imagine it is possible doing voice over separate and then trying to put it in the video and match it up. I would not want to try it).

As for hovering the mouse over icons for pop up hints: Yes, I have that turned on, but it doesn't work in the area where the audio interface lives. It only works selectively. 
You really helped me there.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/17/2024, 7:39 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

As has been pointed out, use the legacy recording feature. Note that there are more parameters under Advanced.

Unless you have a stereo mic, you will want to check the box for Mono recording under Advanced.

I suggest always checking Normalize after recording. This will give you a proper wave form that you can adjust on the timeline using the object volume curve. And, drop the output gain of the track by 1 or 2 dB in the Mixer.

Make sure that Recording quality is DAT which gives you the correct sample rate of 48 kHz.

The mic input gain is controlled by Windows, not the program. Click on Record level to open the Windows sound interface. Double click on the mic that has been selected in Movie Studio, levels gain, adjust the gain to what you want to avoid clipping. I have an audio interface (M-Audio M-Track) so I set the input level to 100% in Windows, and I can adjust the level downwards on my interface.

Now that you have Movie Studio, you have access to some object audio cleaning tools by double-clicking on an audio object. Also, you can use FX in the mixer for cleaning and adding effects at the track level. And, in the Mixer, you have access to any third party effects (VST2 only) that you may have.

You say that you bought SoundForge Audio Lab (missing the word Cleaning) or SFACL 4. You can use this to do further work on your audio files. Unfortunately, it won't load the file if used from Movie Studio as the external audio editor unless Magix fixed it in 2025, which I doubt - bug for SFACL/Video Pro X has been raised and needs more users to complain.

You can also use SFACL to do narration and import the resulting wav file(s) into the video editor and put them at the appropriate locations.

SFACL has a spectral cleaning tool for fixing certain problems.

There are other variations of the same theme.

John CB

I am using a Prosonus Revelator dynamic USB mic which is obviously stereo. 

Yes, I always normalize on everything.

Yes, John mentioned making sure recording is set to DAT (48kHz)

The Presonus has a very detailed control panel, 95% of which I do not touch, it is too much for my needs), but gain is set there. 

Yes, I saw those tools you mention, it comes up every time I start the program, but Movie Studio has far too much on it's own already for me and I don't want more. In fact, I want less. I have no need for effects. I just need straight broadcast dry sound for talk.

Soundforge Audio Lab Cleaner is used ONLY for when I am digitizing any vinyl in my case. I normally use Audacity, but it is limited. I bought the Soundforge because it offers some semi-auto stuff that normally takes me hours to do. I have not used it yet as I am busy with this wretched video stuff, but I will get back around to it.
As for using it to do narration/voice over and then importing it into Movie Studio at appropriate locations - that is physically impossible to me. 
I also don't need any clean up or fixing for such work as it is just my voice and nothing else, unlike vinyl records having to contend with noise (even with restored records) and placement of instruments that tend to get messed up such as having to bring bass back in or bring vocals forward that somehow got pushed to the back when they are in front on the original recording, etc. Drives me crazy in Audacity. 

johnebaker wrote on 6/18/2024, 3:18 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi

. . . . I don't know about or have "Magix Capture" and have no use for it as far as I know. . . . .

When you click the record button the dialog that opens is the Magix Capture program see image below - purple arrow

Uninstalling this may disable recording in the program.

. . . . mic which is obviously stereo . . . .

Are you using the Presonus Universal Control Software Panel? According to the technical specs, the mic is mono, however it may be outputting to both left and right channels.

John EB

Eric-Elliott wrote on 6/18/2024, 8:13 PM

Oh, so that's that Capture thing. I certainly won't uninstall it (I would have to uninstall the entre program, it is embedded), but I have no idea when I would use that. Calling it "capture" makes me think it is for capturing something pre-made or something. I'm not trying to "capture" my voice or whatever and it is illegal to use any music in videos and also illegal to use any videos someone else made. I'm just trying to record my voice to explain what is on the screen to folks.

I film my own videos on a video camera, not direct into a video program. By the way, that is also the same terrible screen that came up when I clicked to record my voice the first time. I hate that screen! I may as well try to use it with my eyes closed, I'd see the same thing. 

Yes, I am using the Presonus control panel. Yes, 99% of microphones are mono. The important thing is the output, I think as long as it comes out stereo (or mono to both ears to be fair) in the video, that is what we want. It is like a mono switch on a phono preamp.
The trouble I was having with Video Easy is that the first two videos I did came out in stereo (mono both channels) and both recording meters (L/R) were lit during recording. Then every video after that only the left channel would light and clip. Nothing changed in any settings anywhere and upon playing back those videos the sound was only coming from one speaker (and also through headphones), but during recording I would hear a balanced sound in my headphones. The two previous videos were fine.

Also checking Movie Studio the other day, I did a test and saw both L/R meters light up when I was recording and I heard balanced sound in my headphones. Upon playback, everything was as it should be.

As long as the sound comes out correctly in the video when played back I think we are alright.
I'm far more familiar with audio so I tend to focus there, so if meters, indicators and my ears see everything as it should be, it's good. 

What I am working on.....no, make that trying to work on currently is: 
I take still photos of some CDs and put them in the video and talk about them a little (I say a bit about the artist and the CDs themselves and then give my very brief opinion on their sonic properties. So I lengthen the time the picture shows to match the time I talk about it. It makes more sense doing it this way rather than while filming.
Eventually, I will also be doing this same voice over work for screen shots or screen video explaining some music database software.
As for my vinyl records and demonstrating cleaning and restoration and the like, that I will be filming everything direct and talking at the same time and will not need to do voice over work.