Questions about Web Designer Pro

TwoCats wrote on 8/16/2019, 9:14 PM

Hi all,

So, looking seriously at designing a static site using WebDesigner Pro. Currently, my Premium status has expired but I can easily enough upgrade it. Before I do, I had some questions about this software... Couldn't find helpful answers to these questions myself, so I thought I'd ask directly.

1. Is there a difference between Pro X 16, and 365? My upgrade option offers me a discount for X16, but I see a 365 version online a lot. Is there a difference? Should I opt for one over the other?

2. How performant are sites created in Web Designer? Has anyone who's created their site with it done speed tests to see how fast it loads, etc? As a flat site, it *should* load quickly. I'm curious how sites created with Xara hold up in that regard?

3. Does the development team for WebDesigner keep it up to date with new technologies and methods? For example, do newer versions of Xara utilize CSS Grid and/or Flex for layouts? Not that it matters *that* much, since different layouts can be set up for different device sizes, but something I'm curious about regardless.

4. Is there a gallery or list of sites actually verified as using Xara in their creation and maintenance? I looked around but couldn't find anything like that. I'd just like to get an idea of what people are doing with it.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Thanks for any answers!

Comments

TwoCats wrote on 8/19/2019, 6:51 AM

<<crickets>>

This forum is deader than my last Birthday party.

emmrecs wrote on 8/19/2019, 9:40 AM

@TwoCats

This forum is deader than my last Birthday party.

Actually, if you look at all the various product areas, it's not dead at all! But the forum is not a contact point for Magix, only for users to interact and help each other when they can.

I suspect no-one actually knows the answers to your questions, hence the dearth of replies.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 8/19/2019, 11:00 AM

@TwoCats

Hi

That is odd - I commented on your questions 2 days ago, the post has disappeared!

1. Is there a difference between Pro X 16, and 365? My upgrade option offers me a discount for X16, but I see a 365 version online a lot. Is there a difference? Should I opt for one over the other?

AFAICS there is no Web Designer Pro X16 - so by Pro X16, do you mean Xara Designer Pro X16?

In which case it is a Design program see here for the actual functions and capabilities.

AFAICS it is not for web site creation, you need Web Designer Pro.

2. How performant are sites created in Web Designer? Has anyone who's created their site with it done speed tests to see how fast it loads, etc? As a flat site, it *should* load quickly. I'm curious how sites created with Xara hold up in that regard?

Performance of your web site depends on:

1. the web hosting service speed and data caps/limits
  2. the viewers Internet connection speed
  3. the viewers browser

You have no control over 2 and 3.

3. Does the development team for WebDesigner keep it up to date with new technologies and methods? For example, do newer versions of Xara utilize CSS Grid and/or Flex for layouts? Not that it matters *that* much, since different layouts can be set up for different device sizes, but something I'm curious about regardless.

That you will have to ask Magix support.

4. Is there a gallery or list of sites actually verified as using Xara in their creation and maintenance? I looked around but couldn't find anything like that. I'd just like to get an idea of what people are doing with it.

I have never seen one published.

John EB

Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/19/2019, 11:00 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 8/19/2019, 4:52 PM

@TwoCats

There is a dedicated Xara forum that you should join. There, you will find a vibrant and helpful user group and many examples.

Re: point 1, Xara Designer Pro X is the complete amalgam of Photo & Graphics Designer, Web Designer Premium and Page & Layout Designer.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos