Program refuses to make chapter menus.

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 8:43 AM

Hello,

I am running the trial for Video Pro X15 now and I am happy about the rendering speed. However, there is a problem:

When I place chapter markers in the timeline which I plan to use for the menu of the Blu-Ray I am creating, the program never actually creates a chapter menu, with one exception: The only cases where Video Pro X15 creates chapter menus is with videos that are exported using Magix programs. With all other videos it does nothing.

All videos from my JVC camera, videos that come from a different computer or videos that are rendered using different software can be used in the timeline; but when I place chapter markers, no chapter menu is added, ever.

Technically of course I could render every single video I'm using for the Blu-Ray before I'm adding them to the Blu-Ray project and then again during the encoding process for the Blu-Ray; but not only does that take up too much time, above all it's not how the program should work.

In this state Video Pro X15 is not worth the price Magix is asking for it. Before I will consider buying it, this issue needs to be resolved. And not in a way that requires me to modify the program files in some way. Because I'm not going to pay for something if I already know it's broken and I need to fix it myself.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/9/2024, 10:24 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

I hope I have correctly understood what you want to do, but if not, my apologies!

I would appear that you expect to create Chapter Markers in video files running and saved in a VPX15 project. You then expect to open those same files in a different program and be able to see and use the Chapter Markers. Is that correct?

If so, what you are wanting to do is impossible, sorry!

Saving a VPX project will, indeed, save everything on the timeline, including your chapter markers, but those markers are most definitely NOT saved to the individual video files, they are saved to what is essentially the database that is the VPX project file. Only when you export your project from VPX or MMS are those Chapter Markers "saved" in a format that means they can be seen,read and thus burned to disc by any suitable DVD or Blu-ray burning program.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that VPX or MMS can only export by directly burning to DVD or BD disc. This is NOT correct at all!

I can't remember the last time I burned a disc directly in VPX or MMS after exporting it! Both programs include an option on the Burn screen of "Image Recorder". This creates an .iso file which can then be burned to disc by a suitable third-party program. In my case I use either Ashampoo Burning Studio or ImgBurn to create the disc, depending on factors like the type of disc required to hold the finished video.

Given the above I hope you will accept that the final paragraph of your post is wholly incorrect because both VPX and MMS CAN create discs and exports in the format you want. There is nothing to be fixed.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 1/9/2024, 10:31 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi,

VPX15 works fine for me. In the image below and in the test project Seasons, there are no files created by Magix software - everything, videos and still images, is from several different cameras.

I created Chapters in each Movie and gave each chapter a name.

Here is the timeline:

Here is the top level Burn screen. The only change was to the main title - renamed from the project name to Seasons:

Here is a second level screen showing the chapters under Winter:

Are you sure that you created Chapter Markers and not Project Markers on the timeline?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 1/9/2024, 10:42 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi

. . . . running the trial for Video Pro X15 . . . .

Do note that trial versions have a limited export/rendering duration of 3 mins.

If your projects are longer than 3 mins, you should be getting a warning message that only the first 3 mins will be used.

Any Chapter markers after 3 mins will be ignored.

. . . . The only cases where Video Pro X15 creates chapter menus is with videos that are exported using Magix programs. With all other videos it does nothing. . . . .

Many of the supported file formats will not be available until after purchase due to licensing conditions.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/9/2024, 10:44 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 11:34 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

I hope I have correctly understood what you want to do, but if not, my apologies!

I would appear that you expect to create Chapter Markers in video files running and saved in a VPX15 project. You then expect to open those same files in a different program and be able to see and use the Chapter Markers. Is that correct?

If so, what you are wanting to do is impossible, sorry!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

You are actually misunderstanding me. For starters, I really don't get why you closed this other thread, because it's a completely different subject and the problem has NOT been solved. https://www.magix.info/us/forum/using-gpu-and-cpu-together-for-encoding-process--1333777/#ca1911422

Regarding what you said here; I don't want to place chapter markers in video files, I want to place chapter markers in the timeline of the software so the software creates a chapter menu for the BD I'm creating.
That's: (1) I import a video and place it on the timeline. (2) At various places on the timeline I press "SHIFT+ENTER" to create chapter markers. (3) The software uses the markers to create a chapter menu for the BD.

This does not work. Except for videos that are rendered using Magix products.

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 11:37 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Are you sure that you created Chapter Markers and not Project Markers on the timeline?

John CB

Funny that it works for you. No matter what I do I can not get it to work for any video files except Magix created ones. I use the same chapter markers for all videos.

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 11:55 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi

. . . . running the trial for Video Pro X15 . . . .

Do note that trial versions have a limited export/rendering duration of 3 mins.

If your projects are longer than 3 mins, you should be getting a warning message that only the first 3 mins will be used.

Any Chapter markers after 3 mins will be ignored.

. . . . The only cases where Video Pro X15 creates chapter menus is with videos that are exported using Magix programs. With all other videos it does nothing. . . . .

Many of the supported file formats will not be available until after purchase due to licensing conditions.

John EB
Forum Moderator

My god, this is worse than miscommunication (On the devs part), this is NO communication. Chapter markers after 3 minutes are ignored because of the trial version. I knew very well that exporting would only be possible for files up to 3 minutes, because that is clearly stated upon using the software multiple times, but NOWHERE it said that chapter markers after 3 minutes would be ignored. Why am I not being told that is the case? Placing chapter markers has got nothing to do with exporting limits. Anyone's first thought would be "it's not working correctly"..
The Magix created files were 1 and 3 minute videos and the other ones 10 / 20 minutes or so.
Problem solved, but bad communication on Magix part.

johnebaker wrote on 1/9/2024, 1:01 PM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi

. . . . bad communication on Magix part . . . .

The popup dialog in the trial version clearly states the time limit of export/render.

Chapter markers are time based points from the start of the video, you can see this is a time value, in the top left of the Preview monitor, when you move the timeline cursor to a Chapter marker .

If the video is limited to 3 mins of export/render, then that is the maximum time for which a Chapter marker could be created.

Any Chapter set, after the 3 mins mark, is never going to be reached. The exported/rendered video ends at 3 mins.

Likewise video/images after the 3 min mark will not appear in the video.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 1:27 PM

@johnebaker

There is no reason why the program shouldn't be able to create chapter markers and subsequently chapter menus after the 3 minute point if only a 3 minute rendering limit is applied. It makes no sense. The way it is actually programmed now is not only a 3 minute rendering limit, but also a chapter point creating limit. These are two different things. it is very well possible to create markers after the 3 minute limit, but upon encoding/burning to show a message that it's impossible to encode because of limits. That is much more logical.

johnebaker wrote on 1/9/2024, 2:23 PM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi

Reversing the logic in the above - why create something that is never going to be accessible?

For testing put 3 or 4 chapter markers between the start of the movie and the 3 mins mark, the minimum chapter spacing is less than 10 seconds

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/9/2024, 2:23 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Willem-vdfdeJong wrote on 1/9/2024, 3:23 PM

@johnebaker

It is accessible in the full product and it's the full product that you are testing, not just a portion of it. If nobody has told you the functionality is gone it makes no sense that chapter markers work in one part of the timeline but not further on.

You are taking away a functionality without communicating it and in doing so are directing people towards a faulty judgement.

A 'render time limit' is not a 'timeline time limit'.

johnebaker wrote on 1/10/2024, 4:02 AM

@Willem-vdfdeJong

Hi

I would suggest you take your issue up with Magix as further discussion here is pointless, the program is doing what it is designed to do in trial mode.

You can contact Magix by email to infoservice@magix.net

This topic will be closed.