Problems with Grouped events

weevil wrote on 10/5/2018, 11:42 AM

I've posted this previously but did not get a response and the bugs were not fixed in the latest version.  This bug is a carryover from Sony versions and is still present in the latest version of 8. Posting again in its own thread to give greater visibility. 

Place two events at the start of separate tracks in a new project.

Group the events.

Trim the beginning of an event in the group by dragging its start.  The other event in the group  suddenly become maybe 200 times longer (this will happen to all other events in the group if you have more than two grouped).

Trimming the beginning of a grouped event trims the beginning of all aligned grouped events.  Trimming the end of a grouped event has no effect on other aligned grouped events.

Splitting grouped events works but all events beyond the split point become ungrouped necessitating regrouping them.  In terms of workflow these newly created events should be part of their own new group.

I deal with a lot of multitrack drums so this is a killer for me.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 10/5/2018, 4:55 PM

Hi @weevil

I have tried to re-create this problem on build 233 without any joy. I have tried dragging two audio files on to separate tracks, and grouping. So the starts of the events are both at 0:0:0.0. If i drag the start of either event the start of the other moves as expected, and the length of either remains unchanged. If i drag the end of either event - as they are different lengths - they are only both changed at the point they meet. Entirely in line with my expectations.

Wuld it be possible to screen record the steps to re-produce it, and then we can look at getting it reported as a bug once it's been recreated?

weevil wrote on 10/5/2018, 5:15 PM

Wow really, I've had this bug for years, different windows installations and hardware.

Installing OBS Studio, back with a clip soon.

weevil wrote on 10/5/2018, 5:27 PM

Okay, hpe this video upload works. This bug has been my life for years now. :)

This is 233 64 Win 10

sheppo wrote on 10/6/2018, 2:34 AM

I've replicated it. It looks like the issue is whether the files are one shots or not. If they're beatmapped the issue does not happen - which is what I was originally doing.

I'm only a moderator / beta tester, so I can't put this directly in the dev's hands, but I can at least get this logged to the beta forum as a reproducible bug.

weevil wrote on 10/7/2018, 6:58 AM

Phew, for a moment there I thought I might have been the victim of a really obscure bug.

Not entirely sure if events beyond a split point becoming ungrouped is a bug or simply a very underdeveloped feature.  Don't know of any other DAW that does the same thing...It makes multitrack drum editing very laborious.