Problem with Text Size NavBar Menu Mouse Rollover Buttons - XARA 11 Premium

mas017 wrote on 7/30/2015, 4:41 PM

I just got XARA Web Designer 11 Premium and have had a problem with NavBar Buttons.

I can change the Font Type and Size on the main MouseOFF buttons --- BUT, when I rollover the buttons with the mouse, the "mouseover" layer still have the orginal text fonts and size.

According to the MAGIX help section, when you use the NavBar Buttons pre-built in the Gallery, any changes make to the MouseOFF layer are supposed to automatically also change in the MouseOVER layer.

But this is not happening.

Here is the exact quote from the HELP section ....

Help please !!

Mouseover (Rollover) Buttons

Almost all the ready-made buttons from the Designs Gallery have a mouseover effect in Web Designer Premium.  These are created by having two versions of each button, the main one on the MouseOff layer and a 'highlight' one on the MouseOver layer. 

Normally you do not need to know or care about this because both buttons behave as one - the changes you make to one, such as editing the label text, are reflected on the other version. If you move, drag or resize a button on the MouseOff layer, the other version on the MouseOver layer will change as well, even if you can't see it.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 7/31/2015, 3:23 AM

Hi

This is reproducable - I would suggest you contact Xara support on this one and come back with what they say.

Thanks

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/31/2015, 3:23 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

mas017 wrote on 7/31/2015, 4:35 PM

I have not heard back from support -- and Yes it i reproducable, but I found a solution

You have to go intp LAYERS and make the adjustments you want on both the MOUSEOFF and MOUSEOVER layers.

Unlike what the Help Manual says, these Buttons are NOT automatically interlinked and changes you make on one layer of a button also changes the correpsonding mouseover button -- you need to do it yourself manually

johnebaker wrote on 8/1/2015, 1:34 AM

Hi

Thanks for coming back with a solution. To me that would suggest the missing interlink between the two layers is a bug.

I have not come across a website (yet) that has changed the font style or size on mouseover. and the effect, for me, would be an iconsistency in design.  Emboldening text or chsnging colour on mouseover is a more generally accepted way.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/1/2015, 1:34 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

mas017 wrote on 8/1/2015, 9:44 AM

Hi

Thanks for coming back with a solution. To me that would suggest the missing interlink between the two layers is a bug.

I have not come across a website (yet) that has changed the font style or size on mouseover. and the effect, for me, would be an iconsistency in design.  Emboldening text or chsnging colour on mouseover is a more generally accepted way.

John EB

You are correct John
But that inconsistency was the exact glitch that I found if you changed a font type or size on the buttons in the Magix Gallery.

For example,  I would build a Nav bar using thier Buttons and the default Font was 11 pt Arial.
On the main button I changed font to Garamond 18pt
According to Magix the mouseover button should also update automatically to be visibly consistent as you stated.
But No -- the mouseover would look weird because it still showed the smaller ariel font

So to make it work, I had to make the font chnages on each layer
As you indicated, the interlink does not work despite what Magix Help claims

I also found another small oddity - There were no options to control the size of a Linked web page when it pops up
You could choose New tab or New window -- but not exact sizes or controls
Many WYSIWYG designers have that feature where you say for example a linked webpage should open in an 800 X 600 window for example.

Instead you need to manually enter the javascript code -- which some users may not know how to do

Example -- if you want that control, you cant simply enter the URL for the site

But must enter something like

javascript:var newwin=window.open('http://highpoint-fitness.freeforums.net./',null,'height=600,width=800,status=yes,toolbar=yes,menubar=yes,location=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes')