Problem when dragging clip from preview window to timeline

rafael-r wrote on 11/8/2023, 3:16 PM

Hello everyone, I have Magix Video Deluxe 2024 (which I understand is the same as Movie Edit Pro) installed on a laptop with the latest version of Windows 11 (23H2) with all the updates to both graphics cards and Windows up to date as well as the latest update of Magix Video Deluxe (version 23.0.1.180 (UDP3)).
The fact is that when trying to edit a video clip by marking the entry and exit points with the square brackets or simply trying to drag it from the preview window to the timeline it does not work, that is, I cannot drag it.
Do you have any idea if it is some bug that the program has or if it is my problem?
If the problem is mine, do you know of anything I can look at to solve the problem?
I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled it with the same result.
Thank you and greetings.

Comments

Former user wrote on 11/8/2023, 3:49 PM

@rafael-r Hi, I'd prefer it to be drag n drop, I don't know if it is a bug.

After you've made your selection click Automatic Application & it will add it to the timeline, or press & hold this button for options, once you release it will add it to the timeline.

Bol wrote on 11/8/2023, 4:34 PM

@rafael-r, @Former user

.... After the update to version 2024, it is not possible to drag scenes from the preview window to the timeline......

This is indeed a bug in VDL2024 and is known to Magix Germany. I personally expect this bug to be fixed in a next update.

To create an in and out point from the preview screen, I found a temporary solution.

Proceed as follows:

• set the in and out points as usual
  • place the play marker where you want the movie clip to be
  • click on track 3, for example, which will then turn blue at the front
  • click [+] select Replace or the keyboard shortcut "5"
  • NB!! The "5" shortcut key requires you to use the "5" on the keyboard, not the numeric keypad
  • Now the piece of film fragment is placed at your desired location on the timeline.
  • See the video

Good luck,

Rob

P.S. I see that I made the demo video in Video Deluxe 2023, but the method is the same in Video Deluxe 2024

Last changed by Bol on 11/8/2023, 4:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Als een kwestie onoplosbaar lijkt, komt dat niet omdat je de oplossing niet ziet, maar omdat je het probleem niet ziet.

If an issue seems unsolvable, it is not because you do not see the solution, but because you do not see the problem.

PC -1-

PC -2-

rafael-r wrote on 11/9/2023, 9:56 AM

OK, perfect, thank you very much for the solution.
I hope Magix solves it soon.
Greetings to all.

Can-Dive wrote on 5/6/2024, 7:33 PM

@Bol

Thanks for the video, it was very helpful. I'm using MMS2024 (version 23.0.1.192) but I'm not sure if the bug has been fixed? I also have two additional questions;

1: After trimming the source clip, can I transfer just the video or just the audio?

2: After trimming the source clip, and transferring it to the timeline, I want to go back to the source clip and continue to trim from the last trim point but if I move the timeline scrubber to a new position, the system resets the trim points and I have to start from the beginning again.

browj2 wrote on 5/6/2024, 9:20 PM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

1. No. Well, you could get only video but only if you have unchecked "Import video with sound" in the program settings. You cannot get only audio. That would be a nice feature for VPX.

2. I am not seeing this. What I see is that after dragging to the timeline, the playback marker jumps to the beginning of the range. Why, I have no idea, as I think that everyone would prefer that the playback marker stay where it was - at the end of the range. So, I have to click on the go Jump to end of range button, then the left bracket if that is where I want to start from.

Do mean that if you click away from the monitor and go back and re-preview the clip, the previous trim points are gone? If so, that is normal.

The behaviour in VPX is not the same as in MMS and I think that there is a small bug. After dragging the trimmed clip to the timeline, the playback marker stays at the end of the range, but the beginning of the range jumps to the beginning of the clip. To me, it looks like both programs have a different problem.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

johnebaker wrote on 5/7/2024, 3:55 AM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . The behaviour in VPX is not the same as in MMS and I think that there is a small bug. . . .

Is this setting the same in both?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Bol wrote on 5/7/2024, 6:15 AM

Hi @johnebaker, @browj2,

The behavior, as @johnebaker already indicates, is the same in VPX as in MMS. This is what it says in the user manual if it is checked.

Move playback marker when selecting an object: if this option is activated, the playback marker is always placed at the beginning of the selected object.

This has nothing to do with creating an in- and out point in both programs. In MMS this is done via the preview window and in VPX via the source window.

With kind regards,

Rob

Als een kwestie onoplosbaar lijkt, komt dat niet omdat je de oplossing niet ziet, maar omdat je het probleem niet ziet.

If an issue seems unsolvable, it is not because you do not see the solution, but because you do not see the problem.

PC -1-

PC -2-

johnebaker wrote on 5/7/2024, 7:43 AM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . What I see is that after dragging to the timeline, the playback marker jumps to the beginning of the range. . . .

I cannot replicate this, the playback marker stays wherever it is placed in both MMS 2024 and VPX15, VPX 16 is pending install when I remove a 'foreign' video editor on my laptop.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

browj2 wrote on 5/7/2024, 7:58 AM

@johnebaker @Bol

Hi,

For both MMS2024 and VPX15, the box for "Move playback marker when object is selected" is unchecked.

Here is what I see in MMS2024 - note the position of the playback marker before and after dragging to the timeline:

I can then click on jump to the end of the range, set the beginning of the range there, move along, set the out point, and drag and the playback marker jumps to the beginning of the newly set range.

In VPX15, source monitor:

Note that the playback marker stays put, but the range changes to start from the beginning of the clip. The range in the Source Monitor should not be changing after import.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Bol wrote on 5/7/2024, 9:17 AM

@Can-Dive, @johnebaker, @browj2,

Hi,

....I'm not sure if the bug is fixed?...

This bug has already been fixed via update version 23.0.1.191. Objects created with an in and out point in the preview window can now be dragged directly from the preview window to the timeline again.

...After cutting the source clip, can I transfer only the video or only the audio?...

You can transfer the source clip (image and sound) in its entirety to the timeline and also create a new source clip. See my Dutch video

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Good luck,

Rob

PC -1-

PC -2-

Bol wrote on 5/7/2024, 9:40 AM

@browj2

Hallo John CB

...For both MMS2024 and VPX15, the box for "Move playback marker when object is selected" is unchecked.....

This is absolutely correct. But as I wrote, this has nothing to do with creating one in and out point. When this is checked, the playback marker is placed at the beginning of the activated clip. If this is not checked, the playback marker will jump to the beginning of the timeline or jump back to where the playback marker was if there is a check mark at "Spacebar stops at current playback position."

Best wishes.
Rob

PC -1-

PC -2-

johnebaker wrote on 5/7/2024, 9:59 AM

@browj2, @Bol

Hi John, Rob

I was looking at the timeline cursor 😡.

Testing I get the same behaviour as Rob.

The 'Move playback marker' was a long shot - obviously too long that I missed.

John EB

Can-Dive wrote on 5/7/2024, 2:44 PM

@browj2  Thanks for pointing out the program setting tick box "Import video with sound". By unticking this box, I can  import video without sound. My preference would be to have this option on the main UI but at least the option is available.😉

@Bol thank you for your second video. It helped me understand what I was doing wrong. The bug is fixed. I made a mistake.

When you highlight an object in the media pool, three icons appear, Playback, Trim and Import. I want to trim the clip so I click on the Trim icon. I trim the clip, drag it from the preview monitor to the timeline. Everything works perfectly.

My next objective is to move the timeline scrubber to a new position, go back to the source clip and make a new trim using the previous trim point as a reference - and here is where I made my mistake...

I move the timeline scrubber to its new position. At this point the preview monitor switches from the source clip to the timeline.

Because I want to trim the clip again, I naturally click the Trim icon again. The source clip appears in the monitor but the trim points have been reset! Argh!! Not what I wanted! I wanted the previous trim points!

If you want to multi-trim a source object, don't click on the Trim icon again because it resets the trim points.

The trick is; double click the source object or click on the Play icon. The source object will start playing at the previous trim points.

Now that I know the trick, I don't have an issue but you can understand why I naturally clicked on the Trim icon the second time - because I want to continue trimming the clip. If I had programmed this feature, a left mouse click of the Trim icon would bring back the previous trim points and a right mouse click would rest the points.

@Bol, @browj2, @johnebaker thanks again for taking the time to help me. I'm slowly learning.🙂

Bol wrote on 5/7/2024, 4:16 PM

@Can-Dive,

I am pleased to read that together you can continue putting together your films.

.....My preference would be to have this option on the main UI, but at least the option is available....

But let's talk about removing the audio from a clip. You can remove these at any time and add them again when you wish. See video

Good luck,
Rob

PC -1-

PC -2-

Can-Dive wrote on 5/8/2024, 12:40 AM

@Bol

Thanks for the additional tip. I'll certainly use it going forward. With other editors I used in the past (eg. Pinnacle Studio) I was able to drag the clip from the preview monitor to the timeline without the audio. But since I can turn off audio in program settings and your tip on muting/deleting the sound after its on the timeline, I think I've got it covered. 🙂