pre-recording devices

jksonsmith wrote on 10/11/2008, 4:44 AM

Justin, thanks for the info.  I tried what you said and everything is working fine now although I though I did the same thing last week.

I am a little confused on your comment about the sound card.  I am new to this and do not know anything about pre-recording devices.  I write and record my own music so would like to have good equipment.  I know you are not supposed to indorse a particular product but could you give me a few examples of pre-recording devices and/pr where I may go to check them out.

Thanks again for you help.

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 10/11/2008, 11:20 AM
Hi again,
First let me say that endorsing specific products is not a problem. I've been told by Magix directly that this is for music discussion not just Magix products.

That being said let me offer three suggestions for recording interfaces - if I wrote pre-recording than it was a typo ^_^ I probably meant pro recording.

I'll add that Magix products are good for basic recording or making songs from samples... for more serious recording I have Protools and Cubase and some interfaces revolve around those products.

My first suggestion for recording is a DIGI001; this is a Protools only interface and will not work with Magix. It is however a professional studio grade interface using the industry standard Protools software. Even though this is an older interface it will still work well for the home recordists. It has a PCI interface and can be had on eBay for around $200. This is a fantastic studio interface with plenty of inputs and features; this is still in use by many studios today. If you want a professional recording and many inputs to record with; this is the one.

Next, if you have firewire I recommend the Behringer FCA202 F-Control. It can be had new for les than $100 and it's a simple,  professional grade interface that works seamlessly with Magix products. Since it's firewire you'll eliminate latency in your recordings and will be able to transmit large amounts of audio data quickly. I have my entire mixing board patched into an FCA202 and then into my computer. I can record my whole band simultaneously without latency. It has been a rock solid unit without a single problem.

If you are limited to USB I recommend the Tascam US-122 or US-144, you may experience some latency with these but you can compensate with buffer settings. They also offer hardware monitoring to bypass any latency issues. I'm a huge fan of these interfaces and have made many good recordings with them. They have more controls on the surface of the unit and offer both 1/4 & XLR inputs and even provide Phantom power for condenser mics. Again these are rock solid and can be had for around $120 to $200 respectively. These will be your best bet for out of the box easy to use recording. It will set up and install easy, work with Magix and has the necessary inputs you need to record right away.

I hope this helps! Please mark your questions as solved once you feel they are - that will help people with similar questions. Make sure you post some of your stuff here so we can check it out.

Justin