Photostory Deluxe - I have HORRIFIC problem-your program deleted files

Lynn-Everest wrote on 7/11/2018, 2:37 PM

I have a horrible and monumental problem with the Magix slideshow software. I was going to make a slide show and some of the pics were on the desktop, but I didn't want to use all of them. I did a 'deselect' and this Magix program absolutely wiped out/deleted everything that was on my desktop that was a downloaded image. And it wiped out all my folders that contained images also. It also wiped out any and all projects I've worked on in OTHER PROGRAMS!!!

I am DEVASTATED! Everything is just GONE, GONE, GONE!

What in the world, why in the world, HOW IN THE WORLD could this software have the ability to abuse my desktop and delete actual files!!?!??!?!??!?!?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 7/11/2018, 3:56 PM

@Lynn-Everest

Hi

We need more information:

More information on the sequence you used to 'deselect' them in Photostory - were the images on the timeline, in the media pool or where.

If not how and where from did you deselect them.

. . . . some of the pics were on the desktop . . . . absolutely wiped out/deleted everything that was on my desktop . . .

Some or all of the pictures - the rest of your post would suggest they and the project files were on the desktop?

Are the folders, images and project files in the Recycle Bin?

. . . . What in the world, why in the world, HOW IN THE WORLD could this software have the ability to abuse my desktop and delete actual files!!?!??!?!??!?!? . . .

It cannot without action from you to confirm a permanent delete of selected files and folders.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/11/2018, 3:57 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

TJ-Kelly wrote on 3/6/2020, 7:01 PM

I have the same problem. Was going to set up a photostory and then exited the program before selecting any media. Checked the folder later and all the media had been deleted. It's not in the recycle bin either, just gone. Years of photos and videos gone because of this software package.

johnebaker wrote on 3/7/2020, 5:03 AM

@TJ-Kelly

Hi

. . . . Checked the folder later and all the media had been deleted . . . .

Where was the folder located - hard drive in computer, external hard drive, memory card, in camera etc?

How did you put the media into the folder?

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Patti-P wrote on 4/17/2020, 2:12 AM

This is a very scary thread. I am just learning this program and got concerned today when I read "The Media Pool displays the data on your hard drive. Files that are deleted here cannot be recovered in Windows Explorer." Now tonight I'm reading of the program deleting lots of files!!!!!!. Why would this program not just "delete" from the Photostory Media pool??? Why is it deleting the master files on the computer?????? Should there not be a warning like "if you complete this action you will not just delete this slide/video/whatever from your slideshow you will also delete it from your computer? This sounds bad and may be a deal breaker.

emmrecs wrote on 4/17/2020, 4:55 AM

@Patti-P

Welcome to the Magix forums.

If you re-read this thread you will notice that neither of the previous posters came back to answer any of the questions @johnebaker asked! I think that speaks volumes.

PS cannot/does not/will not delete ANY files from anywhere on your computer hard drive(s). Only you can do that by navigating to the specific file or folder in Windows Explorer or File Explorer, with PS not running, and quite deliberately selecting or highlighting files and choosing to "Delete".

One caveat: one previous poster had made the mistake of, apparently, saving either image files or the PS project file or both to the Desktop. This is bad practice since Windows Updates etc. can "interfere with" items on the computer desktop.

HTH

Jeff
​​​​​​​Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Lynn-Everest wrote on 4/17/2020, 8:19 AM

Patti P. You are so right - this is very scary - stay away from this product.I had to take my computer to a company and it cost $200 to get files back and even then, many were never recoverable. I have no idea how to explain how this happened but it did happen. It literally wiped out every single file I had that was contained within folders on my desktop. If it was in folder on my desktop it was deleted. They never showed up in the recycle bin either This product is very dangerous. STAY AWAY!

emmrecs wrote on 4/17/2020, 9:10 AM

@Lynn-Everest

I'm sorry that you experienced the problem that It literally wiped out every single file that was contained within folders on my desktop but I would have to make two comments:

1. "Data" files or folders, like your photos, should never, in any circumstances, be "saved" to your computer desktop. The only things which can be safely "saved" there are icons (shortcuts) which point to the install locations of programs and so make the launching of those programs rather quicker. The actual "programs" are not on the desktop, just a link to them. No "data" of any kind can or should be safely stored on your desktop.
  2. I am quite prepared to state again, without hesitation, that Photostory cannot/does not/will not delete ANY files from anywhere on your computer, including your Desktop. On the other hand, various Windows Updates can and have been shown to make such changes to a user's computer.

What you write in your post above, therefore, is demonstrably inaccurate with reference to the problems you experienced as being caused by Photostory. I understand your annoyance at what you entirely inaccurately perceive as the failings of this software but posts containing blatant and demonstrable untruths are not acceptable in the forum and their writers are liable to have their access to the forums removed.

To prevent further, wholly unnecessary or inaccurate comments, this thread will now be closed.

Jeff
​​​​​​​Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam