Photo positions lost when changing from storyboard to timeline

Brian-Hay wrote on 12/8/2023, 5:20 PM

I have just upgraded from photostory deluxe 2023 to 2024. After opening a saved project which I started in the 2023 version, I'm experiencing a problem when changing from Storyboard to timeline as follows...

I loaded about 30 photos onto the timeline. I then went to Storyboard to rearrange the order of the photos. When I have finished moving the photos around, I change to Timeline and all the photos revert back to the positions they were in when I first loaded them from the media pool onto the timeline.

I've saved the project, closed down photostory and reopened it. Reorganised all the photos again in Storyboard then gone to Timeline and again the photos have gone back to their original position.

Is this a glitch in the software or is there something I can do to overcome this problem. I have thought of moving the photos around using timeline but it would be very tedious.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 12/9/2023, 4:01 AM

@Brian-Hay

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

First, please do not create duplicate posts asking exactly the same thing! It then becomes difficult for fellow-users who would like to offer help to know to which post they should reply! So, I have hidden your other post.

Because I never use Storyboard view this problem is not something I have ever experienced; if I have time later today I may try to duplicate what you are seeing. It is certainly not something I remember ever being raised as an issue in the forum, although I know a user of the Movie Studio video editing package (PS is, essentially, a "cut-down" version of MS) has reported his computer freezing when attempting to switch between the two views.

Hopefully, another user may be able to offer additional thoughts to you!

In the meantime I suggest you use the Timeline view. I'm not sure what you see as tedious about such a procedure? I often have far more than 30 images in a project and can change their order quite easily. If the problem is related to how many you can see at a time on the Timeline there is always the option to zoom in or out on the view, thus allowing you to see all or any number of your photos at one time.

Hopefully, I may be able to check on what happens on my machine with this problem later today. If I can reproduce the problem it will need a Support ticket to be created since such behaviour is clearly not acceptable.

Just for the record, exactly which version do you now have? The latest, found under Help>About, is 23.0.1.164.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Brian-Hay wrote on 12/9/2023, 4:18 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your help. Being new to this forum I was completely unaware I had created a duplicate post. So, apologies for that. Maybe creating the post on my phone resulted in me double clicking something??? How exactly that would have happened is a mystery to me.
This morning I have done as you suggested and used Timeline to adjust their order. I will experiment with this odd behaviour by opening a new project and seeing if I can duplicate the issue and if so submit a support ticket to Technical.
I am running version 23.0.1.164

emmrecs wrote on 12/9/2023, 5:32 AM

@Brian-Hay

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Don't worry about the duplicate posts. It can happen, it's just that it's worth checking the forum after you've made any post. That way you should see any duplicate and can delete it.

I've just tried to duplicate your problem:

• I put a selection of photos onto the Timeline.
  • Changed to Storyboard and changed the order of the images.
  • Went back to Timeline, and the changed order was reflected there.

So, I don't think this is something inherent to the program and, as such, there is really nothing that Magix Support can do to resolve it for you, sorry.

It rather sounds as if some part of the program has become corrupted on your computer. You could try to Repair the installation by running the installer again (hopefully you have it saved somewhere!) and choosing the Repair option.

If that doesn't help you may need to consider a complete uninstall and reinstall. Before you attempt this make sure you have access to the installer and your serial key, via your Magix account since you will need to re-register the app. Also, go to Help>Deactivate program on your current installation before you begin; that will ensure that there is no chance of you exceeding the maximum number of activations you are allowed.

You must then ensure that everything connected to the current install is removed. Don't depend on the built-in Uninstaller to achieve this for you! There are a number of important files, folders and registry entries which are created after the installer has "finished", e.g., on first and subsequent runs of the program, which the installer knows nothing about and so does not remove. Experience has shown us it is often precisely those files etc., which can cause the original problem to not be resolved even after the reinstallation. My personal preference for ensuring that any program is completely removed is to use Revo Uninstaller; the free version can be found here. There is also a paid-for Pro version, which I have, but the free one should be adequate for what you need.

The Uninstall/Reinstall process:

1. Create a System Restore point.
  2. Download and install Revo Uninstaller.
  3. Run it and point it to your current installation of PS 2024.
  4. Allow it to carry out its work. Before it removes anything it may show you a list of ALL the files etc., that it thinks should be removed; do check this list carefully, especially if you have other Magix programs installed. It may see one or more files as connected with PS but which may be actually part of a different program.
  5. If, after it has finished the initial uninstall it gives you the option to perform a Deep Scan of your computer, allow it to do this. Again, check carefully what it says it thinks should be removed.
  6. Once that is completed, reboot your computer.
  7. Install, re-register and activate PS2024 and don't forget to download all the additional content that is available.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam