non-roman (Devanagari) text doesn't rendering correctly for Titles

Robert-Eaton wrote on 5/3/2024, 7:33 AM

We are trying to add a Title to a video using a Devanagari text font Annapurna (https://software.sil.org/annapurna/download/), which supports both OpenType and Graphite rendering engines. And if we display the Devanagari Title in the "Title editor" page, the text renders properly (see top image). But when the title is added to the video, the characters aren't rendered properly (see bottom image).
Specifically, the ikar vowel matra, which is logically (in character sequence) after the consonant it is displayed before is shown after the consonant rather than before it (see the red box in the image). Also, the halant character when properly rendered is supposed to produce a consonant combination (aka. 'half-characters"), which it is not (see the green box).
Are there any plans to use a rendering engine to properly render text for titles?

If it helps, here is the original devanagari text for the title:

जिसके कम पाप माफ हुए वह कम प्‍यार करेगा जिसके ज्‍यादा पाप माफ हुए वह ज्‍यादा प्‍यार करेगा

This is in Movie Studio 2023 Suite

Comments

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 8:24 AM

@Robert-Eaton Hi, many title editors struggle with some fonts, whether they are OTF or TTF, I suspect there is no solution to this apart from finding a software that will display properly, Maybe Google or another web browser will show it properly & you can copy/paste into Movie Studio (MS) then chromakey out the background,, just a thought.

PS. Devanagari text font Annapurna isn't in my list, to test it properly you'd have to share the font file using Google Drive or another file sharing site.

------------------

Or even just from this page if that is written correctly how it should be,,

emmrecs wrote on 5/3/2024, 8:28 AM

@Robert-Eaton

Given the nature of your very reasonable question, unless any other user has specific knowledge of the problems you are experiencing I think you need to create a Support ticket. To do this, start with the Support header of any forum page, choose Video>Movie Studio as your product and follow carefully through each succeeding page, always choosing the option (usually at the very bottom of the page) to Contact Support.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2024, 8:35 AM

@Robert-Eaton

Hi

. . . . OpenType . . . .

This may be the cause of the issue - If there is a TrueType (.ttf) format of this font available try using it instead of the Open Type variant.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/3/2024, 8:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 9:07 AM

@johnebaker Hi, that may work but I've gone through similar examples in the Vegas forum, Vegas wouldn't show a similar text correctly but neither would Boris Title studio or NB Titler Pro7, With other more basic font's that don't show correctly (in Vegas) I've tried re- converting downloaded TTF into TTF, OTF to TTF, & vice versa etc.. nothing would make the font look correct, but trying the basic one I was thinking of does work in MS, I think these Asian fonts struggle for some reason.

This is one link to a Vegas post - https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/adding-south-asian-fonts--137127/#ca910867

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2024, 9:22 AM

@Former user, @Robert-Eaton

Hi Gid

The Vegas post is interesting especially Petersson's comments.

Font support has been limited with MEP/MMS, and VPX, in that many right to left reading languages are not supported or display correctly.

However both Devanagari and Telugu are, as far as I can find, left to right reading, so in theory they should display OK.

However I suspect there is a bug in the Title Editor with OpenType and possibly some TrueType fonts.

I have a TTF font installed that is selectable the Title pane dropdown however it is not accepted. The font works fine in Word, Image editors etc and used to work in earlier versions of MEP/MMS/VPX and Vegas Pro.

The last resort is to create the title as an image with a transparent background in an image editor and save as a PNG file and import this.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/3/2024, 9:28 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Robert-Eaton wrote on 5/3/2024, 11:34 AM

Just to be clear, the Title Editor is displaying the text in it's proper format. So whatever control underlies that tool, it's doing the rendering properly. The problem comes when the text is inserted into the video.

Many non-roman scripts in Unicode require the use of a special renderer (like OpenType) and things like webbrowsers, .net controls, etc., all have them built in.

But the conversation gave me an idea of converting our Unicode Devanagari text back to the legacy 8-bit font encoding and use that font instead... it actually works, though that font is really ugly for several diacritics (the other benefit of renderers, bkz they know where the diacritics are supposed to go...)

Anyway, I think I will post a support request as @emmrecs suggested so we won't have to reconvert it forever.

Thanks for all the responses.

Former user wrote on 5/3/2024, 11:49 AM

@johnebaker 👍 yep,, I think it's 'a thing' across many editors, it must be the software because some do & some don't work in other types programs 🤷‍♂️

The last resort is to create the title as an image with a transparent background in an image editor and save as a PNG file and import this.

John EB

Yep that's sort of along the lines of what I showed in my vid, different approach but similar 👍