No sound when transfering video from camcorder to PC

Walter-Welo wrote on 10/24/2019, 10:08 AM

I just bought the Video Saver and have had no trouble recording the VCR tapes to my PC, with the scart plugg. However, when I hook up my Canon digital video camera, Camcorder MV430i I get the film but no sound?? My camcorder is hooked up via a video s cable. Any suggestions as to how to get sound on my video?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 10/24/2019, 10:20 AM

@Walter-Welo

Welcome to the Magix forums.

My camcorder is hooked up via a video s cable

Assuming you actually mean S-Video then that is the reason: the S-Video connection carries ONLY the video signal. You need a separate audio connection between your camera and PC in order to record the audio.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Walter-Welo wrote on 10/24/2019, 11:10 AM

OK. Thank you. But tell me? What cable do I need to hook up to the Magix Video savers limited contacts (Red, yellow and white) and the S-video contact on the USB plug. Again I have a Canon Digital camcorder fra 2000 og type MV 430 i.

emmrecs wrote on 10/24/2019, 1:42 PM

@Walter-Welo

Hi.

I have no personal direct knowledge of the actual Magix device you are using but the usual convention with regard to those three coloured phono(?) sockets you mention is Red is Audio Right, White is Audio Left and Yellow is Video. So you need a cable that connects the audio outputs of your camera to the audio inputs of the device. Assuming both sets of sockets (on the camera and the device) are standard phono sockets, one is usually coloured white and one red, then a twin phono to phono lead (which will often have a "red" lead and a "white" lead) can be used, plugging the red plugs into the red sockets and the white plugs into the white sockets.

So, you would continue to use your S-Video cable for the video and this twin phono to phono for the audio.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Walter-Welo wrote on 10/24/2019, 3:08 PM

Please forget my last question about transfering video. I discovered that I had just previewed and not recorded an hour long video. Good grief!!

emmrecs wrote on 10/25/2019, 4:37 AM

@Walter-Welo

No problem at all. We are all fellow-users, equally prone to doing the wrong thing!

However, what I wrote above is still correct; if you are using S-Video to transfer from camera or similar to PC you will also need to use a separate audio cable for audio transfer.

Jeff

Walter-Welo wrote on 10/25/2019, 7:44 PM

Yes. I just happened to have a mini jack with red white and yellow on the other side and now everything is working perfectly so thanks a lot for your prompt and excellent support.

emmrecs wrote on 10/26/2019, 4:10 AM

@Walter-Welo

Glad to hear everything is now resolved and thanks for the feedback.

Jeff