No Hardware Acceleration / Encoding

chris-caulcutt wrote on 5/12/2018, 12:28 AM

I just recently upgraded to MovieMagix Edit Pro Premium Software.

My PC Specs are as follows:

Windows 10 64Bit

M.2 SSD Drive

Intel i7 7700k processor

Gigabyte Nvidia Ge-Force 1080 G1 Gaming Card

Issue

It take approx 1hr & 20 mins to render a 4 minute video in 4K resolution! @ 60,000 kbps

Hardware Encoding just isnt available. Can some one please tell me why? Do i have to go out and purchase a different card?

If i can recall rightly, this Hardware Encoding did work once upon a time with an older card which was an AMD R9 290 X

Comments

wongck wrote on 5/12/2018, 6:20 AM

Check if your Intel GPU drivers are installed or up to date. IIRC it uses Intel GPU HW acceleration not CUDA.

Casual home video editing just for FUN since MEP 5.5.4.1 (2006??)

• MEP 17.0.3.177 & unused Vegas Pro 15
  • Win10 2004 i7-4770 3.4GHz, 32GB, 512GB Nvme, 4TB HDD, Nvidia GTX1070 (26.21.14.3160) & an old DVD writer
  • Amateur video equipment: Sony HDR-CX675, JVC GZ-MG330
terrypin wrote on 5/17/2018, 9:55 AM

Do you also have 'Hardware acceleration for export if possible' enabled under the Import/Export tab?

And do you have any other option in the drop-down, apart from your GTX 1080 card?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)

mojoaudioguru wrote on 5/17/2018, 11:03 AM

I literally have the same specs as you. I had to get the proper driver for the CPU's Quick Sync video rendering capabilities. Once installed, MEP+ 2018 recognizes the CPU's hardware excelleration, and you can then check the boxes accordingly. All my 2k and 4k videos are rendered in equal real-time. If the edited clip is 1 hour, the rendering time is roughly the same. However, the more elaborate the edit, (I.e. 4-5 cameras, Dolby surround mix, color correction / color matching, etc), it will add time to that render. In the past, (Prior to building a new up to date computer), it would take 10+ hours to render one hour of HD video. (And almost double that for 4k!) Just go on to Intel's website, and pick the Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) driver, download it and install it. I took my GTX 1050Ti SC out, because I just have no need for it. The CPU handles all three of my 48" flat screens, without issue. Good luck.

Tesityr wrote on 5/17/2018, 6:01 PM

If I may pop in, even though it states "(no hardware encoding)", it may still be utilizing your GPU for Rendering processes...

I run similar Settings ('hardware encoding' checkmarked in all the right places) and that dialog still says 'no hardware' on Exporting - however, I checked with a GPU Monitoring program (one that shows GPU temperatures, utilization, etc) and it shows a 'typical rendering' spike in utilization, after I started Rendering (a jump of about 20-30%). Here is a Screenshot of the monitoring program running and that Export dialog box in the background:

The output even looks as though it was Rendered utilizing Accelerated Encoding (it has a slight 'leather texture' to it from the slight compression artifacts visible on Accelerated Renders).

If it helps you [or anyone!], you can try double-checking ('forcing'?) Hardware Encoding in the Advanced Options panel that is found via the Pull-Down menus, navigating through File > Export > Video as MPEG-4:

In the window that comes up, there is an Advanced button, which has additional Settings for MPEG-4 configuration behind it (MPEG4 Profile/Level, a Hardware Encoding checkbox, etc). An example of where the button is, and what the MPEG-4 dialog with additional Settings looks like, is here:

Although I am not using an iGPU (Internal GPU within the CPU die) - I am using a discrete GPU card - perhaps it may help to instigate usage of your iGPU for Rendering output...

HTH ~T

andrii_poltava wrote on 5/18/2018, 3:24 AM

Do you also have 'Hardware acceleration for export if possible' enabled under the Import/Export tab?

And do you have any other option in the drop-down, apart from your GTX 1080 card?

emmrecs wrote on 5/18/2018, 3:59 AM

@andrii_poltava

We need to know a lot more about your computer, in particular which make and model of CPU you have. The final screenshot you posted strongly suggests you do NOT have a CPU which allows MEP to use HWA.

See the image below from my computer set up:

The listed Intel CPU is what actually allows for HWA encoding.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

andrii_poltava wrote on 5/18/2018, 4:13 AM

@andrii_poltava

We need to know a lot more about your computer, in particular which make and model of CPU you have. The final screenshot you posted strongly suggests you do NOT have a CPU which allows MEP to use HWA.

See the image below from my computer set up:

The listed Intel CPU is what actually allows for HWA encoding.

Jeff

I activated the graphics in the BIOS.

Thank you!

emmrecs wrote on 5/18/2018, 4:33 AM

Excellent news! I agree, it almost seems counter-intuitive to have both the CPU graphics and the discrete GPU enabled but it works!

Happy editing and exporting!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

chris-caulcutt wrote on 5/18/2018, 8:44 AM

Thankyou so much. I followed advice in the above mentioned comments. I downloaded the latest Intel Graphics Drivers. At first the Intel Program said that i did not meet the minimum requirements and i therefor had difficulty installing the driver software. I rebooted the computer and jumped into the Bios setup and saw that the Intel Graphics setting was disabled so i enabled it and was then able to successfully install the latest Intel Graphics Drivers Software.

Hardware encoding is now available on my MMEP and I was able to render a 4 minute [4k] video in just under 6 minutes! This is a huge improvement! Previously it used to take me well over an hour to render a video of the same duration & specs.

Thankyou so much. Wow I'm thrilled!

mojoaudioguru wrote on 5/18/2018, 1:41 PM

Yes, you're right. I forgot to mention going into your bios, in order to enable that feature. But, you managed it. Great. Happy editing!!

Scenestealer wrote on 5/18/2018, 4:20 PM

Hi

If I may pop in, even though it states "(no hardware encoding)", it may still be utilizing your GPU for Rendering processes...

As @Tesityr has shown, it is worth checking the "Calculate Video effects on GPU" option in the export window. This will allow the Nvidia card to share some of the encoding with the Intel GPU thereby reducing the load and heat on the CPU die. Depending on the type and quantity of effects used it can speed up HW encoding a little and put less stress on the Intel Hardware.

System Specs: Intel 6th Gen i7 6700K 4Ghz O.C.4.6GHz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD system disc WD Black 4TB HDD Video Storage, Nvidia GTX1060 OC 6GB, Win10 Pro 2004, MEP2016, 2022 (V21.0.1.92) Premium and prior, VPX7, VPX12 (V18.0.1.85). Microsoft Surface Pro3 i5 4300U 1.9GHz Max 2.6Ghz, HDGraphics 4400, 4GB Ram 128GB SSD + 64GB Strontium Micro SD card, Win 10Pro 2004, MEP2015 Premium.

Former user wrote on 5/22/2018, 1:49 PM

I literally have the same specs as you. I had to get the proper driver for the CPU's Quick Sync video rendering capabilities. Once installed, MEP+ 2018 recognizes the CPU's hardware excelleration, and you can then check the boxes accordingly. All my 2k and 4k videos are rendered in equal real-time. If the edited clip is 1 hour, the rendering time is roughly the same. However, the more elaborate the edit, (I.e. 4-5 cameras, Dolby surround mix, color correction / color matching, etc), it will add time to that render. In the past, (Prior to building a new up to date computer), it would take 10+ hours to render one hour of HD video. (And almost double that for 4k!) Just go on to Intel's website, and pick the Kaby Lake (i7-7700K) driver, download it and install it. I took my GTX 1050Ti SC out, because I just have no need for it. The CPU handles all three of my 48" flat screens, without issue. Good luck.

This makes literally no sense unless you run no other applications on your PC which can use the Nvidia GPU, which is far superior to the Intel GPU. This is very unlikely; even your web browser will perform better because they're all hardware accelerated, and can benefit from the better GPU.

I don't see how anyone can come to the conclusion that this is a good idea.

If your alternative to the 1050 Ti is Intel Integrated Graphics, then you have need for it the GTX card :-P The benefits of a better GPU go way beyond this.

mojoaudioguru wrote on 5/22/2018, 3:58 PM

Trensharo: Making no sense is my forte. I currently have NO GPU in my computer. None. Zero. Zilch. (Eat your heart out) And, I've been using my newly built computer for 3 months now, without one. I've edited five 4K projects with it, and rendered them all, without issue. (Aside from all the 2K and HD projects) My browsers are lightning fast, and I still have NO NEED for a GPU. But, if it'll make you feel warm inside, I do have it close by, standing at the ready to be installed, if need be. All three of my connected LCD screens run perfectly through it, as well. My conclusions are just that. MINE. You can draw your own. BTW, YOUR conclusions regarding the need for a GPU, are unnecessary. ;)

Former user wrote on 7/18/2018, 7:23 PM

Trensharo: Making no sense is my forte. I currently have NO GPU in my computer. None. Zero. Zilch. (Eat your heart out) And, I've been using my newly built computer for 3 months now, without one. I've edited five 4K projects with it, and rendered them all, without issue. (Aside from all the 2K and HD projects) My browsers are lightning fast, and I still have NO NEED for a GPU. But, if it'll make you feel warm inside, I do have it close by, standing at the ready to be installed, if need be. All three of my connected LCD screens run perfectly through it, as well. My conclusions are just that. MINE. You can draw your own. BTW, YOUR conclusions regarding the need for a GPU, are unnecessary. ;)

It’s just stupid.

I don’t care. I just don’t like it when you mention it while giving guidance, cause it can give people the wrong idea.

For preview acceleration the Intel GPU is awful compared to an 1050Ti. Even if the software only does QSV encode acceleration, you still benefit a lot from preview acceleration for effects, as the software will accelerate those with the Nvidia GPU and then copy over for rendering.

Theres not logical reason to remove it, whatsoever, so doing so is beyond laughable u less you don’t mind worse performance or you think it will make your electric bill unaffordable

Eat your heart out.

mojoaudioguru wrote on 7/18/2018, 9:26 PM

Keep up sonny. This post is weeks old. Stupid is, as stupid does. And, I'm all broken up about how you feel regarding my lack of GPU. (NOT!) But, those are the facts. I have no GPU, and I do not plan on getting a GPU, anytime soon. So, if that happens to break your heart as well, I'll shed even fewer tears. Furthermore, I haven't had ANY issues rendering, accelerating, and or benefitting, from the lack of a GPU. Lastly, my electric bill is of no concern, to EITHER of us.

So, can I expect a rebuttal soon, or shall I wait another couple of months for it? 🖕

Scenestealer wrote on 7/18/2018, 10:52 PM

OK guys...enough shots at each other!

You both have made some valid points and what might work for one does not necessarily suit the other.

Peter - Forum Moderator

System Specs: Intel 6th Gen i7 6700K 4Ghz O.C.4.6GHz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MoBo, 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD system disc WD Black 4TB HDD Video Storage, Nvidia GTX1060 OC 6GB, Win10 Pro 2004, MEP2016, 2022 (V21.0.1.92) Premium and prior, VPX7, VPX12 (V18.0.1.85). Microsoft Surface Pro3 i5 4300U 1.9GHz Max 2.6Ghz, HDGraphics 4400, 4GB Ram 128GB SSD + 64GB Strontium Micro SD card, Win 10Pro 2004, MEP2015 Premium.

mojoaudioguru wrote on 7/19/2018, 12:24 AM

My apologies, Scenestealer. I was only having a bit of fun at Trensharo's expense. I promise to behave. As long as he...er...she does too. 😉

Scenestealer wrote on 7/19/2018, 6:37 AM

No worries mojoaudioguru, but we like to keep it tidy here.

MikaS wrote on 8/5/2018, 9:09 AM

Hi,

I'm also interested in the issues mentioned in this topic, but the discussion got a little bit too "technical" for me.

My computer has

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-Gaming K3

Processor: Intel i7-7700 (with integrated GPU)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

I have only the NVIDIA GPU enabled, since I mostly need that. But exporting HD material is very slow (1 minute clip takes 8 minutes), and apparently using the Intel GPU would be much faster.

Is it possible to have both GPU's enabled at the same time, so that I can use NVIDIA for gaming and Intel for editing/exporting? And if it's possible, how should I do it?

wongck wrote on 8/5/2018, 9:27 AM

Is it possible to have both GPU's enabled at the same time, so that I can use NVIDIA for gaming and Intel for editing/exporting? And if it's possible, how should I do it?

Looks like it depends on your hardware motherboard.

One user here recently mentioned his motherboard seems to allow only Intel if there is no other graphic card installed.

However, on my motherboard I can have both Intel and Nvidia at the same time. My only one LCD is connected to the Nvidia card, and on my Win10 task manager I can see GPU 0 and GPU 1 being used ( for example MEP uses GPU 0 when I do a playback and Chrome uses GPU 1).

Casual home video editing just for FUN since MEP 5.5.4.1 (2006??)

• MEP 17.0.3.177 & unused Vegas Pro 15
  • Win10 2004 i7-4770 3.4GHz, 32GB, 512GB Nvme, 4TB HDD, Nvidia GTX1070 (26.21.14.3160) & an old DVD writer
  • Amateur video equipment: Sony HDR-CX675, JVC GZ-MG330
mojoaudioguru wrote on 8/5/2018, 12:31 PM

MikaS, my mobo enables me to use both. Although, at this time I don't have my NVida GTX1050Ti installed, (I'm not a gamer, so I have no need for it), but when I did have it installed in my computer, with similar specs as yours, I was able to employ both. The GPU won't serve your rendering capabilities with Magix MEP+, but the Intel CPU, when turned on and set up with the correct / current drivers, will work wonders on any renderings. Just go online to Intel's website, download the correct driver for your CPU's rendering capabilities, and follow the directions. Good luck.

paulsweigert wrote on 8/5/2018, 1:00 PM

I recently discovered that the GT 1030 does not support encoding.

mojoaudioguru wrote on 8/5/2018, 1:11 PM

Neither will most NVidia GPUs. Once Magix dropped CUDA Core encoding, a few years back, none of the GPUs that I know of, will help the rendering processes. (Main Concept will not adapt to any NVidia GPUs, and NVidia dropped supporting CUDA Cores) That's why I built a new computer with an i7-7700K, 4.6 GHz CPU, (Overclocked to 4.8), in order to use the Intel Quick Sync rendering capabilities. Something you may have to do, if you render videos for a living. Which is what I do, as a professional videographer.