NEED HELP - AM FIRST TIME WEBSITE CREATER !!

bkortega wrote on 6/4/2013, 12:42 PM

I have a domain name that I registered at  register.com

I created a website with Xara Web Designer Premium Version 8 software..

I have a Web hosting site that I uploaded the files to but am unhappy because cannot get any answers

from them... I want to move them here to Magix but I need help...  I am new at this... this is my first

website creation and am helping someone who knows nothing about it... 

Once I upload the files here...  HOW do I get my domain name on Register.com pointed to the files that are here on this site... What do I need to do... 

I hope someone can please help me and tell me what to do ... if I have to go in and change the DNS

address on register.com...  can you please tell me what to enter...  

thank you

Barbara

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 6/4/2013, 3:04 PM

Hi,

I know that this may seem challenging and I am sure it will be a little frustrating but I need to ask a couple of questions because I am not really sure what you are trying to do.

Let me first comment on what I think I do understand:

First you purchased a domain name from Register.com and you also purchased a hosting account from the same company.  For this purpose lets call the domain www.mydomain.com.

You are unhappy with the hosting services provided by Register.com and now want to change your hosting provider to Magix Online World, and keep the same domain name.

You plan to leave your domain name with Register.com but when someone types in "www.mydomain.com" you want the site that they see to be the one hosted on Magix Online World?  Is this correct? 

If it is, you simply need to re-direct your domain "www.mydomain.com" to the new domain that you will need to purchase when you set up your Magix Online account.  For the sake of discussion let's call the new one www.mymagixdomain.com.  If you do it this way, whenever anyone types in "www.mydomain.com" they will be re-directed to "www.mymagixdomain.com"

The other approach you could use would be to transfer your "www.mydomain.com" domain to your new Magix account, but you will likely incur fees from both Register.com and Magix to execute the transfer.

How you decide to proceed will determine what you need to do.

George