Comments

cloud_content wrote on 10/15/2019, 3:16 PM

Here is my support ticket [Ticket# removed by moderator]

In Photostory 18.1.3.36, when I tried to render to MP4, a pop-up window appeared asking me to purchase a codec. So, I purchased an HEVC codec (note: I own several video programs including Magix Vegas, but it is the extra steps of having to render over and over which I found to be time consuming. So, I just wanted to render the project in Photostory). Anyway, after paying for it, the HEVC codec failed to correctly install, giving me the "Error -10 message"

(Don't worry, I am about to address the MP4 rendering issues of Photostory 19 which is broken, too, but first let me share with you the Magix' Tech support response)

Here is what name removed by moderator wrote:

"Dear [Omitted]

Thank you for your message.

Please disable your antivirus application and firewall temporarily and retry the installation/activation since there might be quite a good chance that your system protection blocks these processes.
Additionally note that our program uses the Internet Explorer API for the online communication modules. Therefore, this is relevant to our program's functionality, as well as your general system functionality and security. You will need to manually adjust something in the Windows/IE Internet settings. Please go to the system's Control Panel and proceed to "Internet Options". Switch to the "Advanced" tab and find the "Security" section in the long list of checkboxes. Among other things you will find entries for the different Internet communication protocols here.

Please check whether the options TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 are ticked. If that is not the case, please enable/tick these options and confirm your settings. Then try again with our program. If the problem persists, please send a screenshot of the dialogue described here, showing the relevant TLS protocol settings.

If you're still not getting on with the activation, there's one more aspect we have discovered that seems to have helped in such a situation: A crucial operating system service that should be running by default has been disabled. In order to check this, please bring up the Windows "Computer Management", e.g. by opening the Windows Start menu, right-clicking on "Computer" and choosing "Manage". In the Computer Management screen, navigate to the "Services and Applications" section on the left-hand side and proceed to the "Services" sub section. Find the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" in the alphabetic list of services and check whether the status for this service is "started". If not, right-click on this entry and start/resume it. Then try the program/feature activation again.
--
Thank you for contacting Magix Support.

Best regards,
name removed by moderator"

So, I did all of those things and then I sent images to Magix Tech support confirming that I followed through with each step, but I still kept getting the same "Error -10" message. There was a pop-up window when I started Photostory that offered me an upgrade. So, I decided to try it just to see if maybe HEVC codec I purchased would work along with this upgrade.

Inside of Photstory 19.0.1.16 I was able to render the project to .MP4. However, when I tried to open the rendered file, it would produce an error message in Appe Quicktime Player and, in Windows Media Player, there would only be a blank image.

I bought another laptop. But when I went to my Magix online account to try and download my software, my updater service had expired. So, now I only have access to Photostory 18 and not Photostory version 19 (which is absurd. How can a software company give a user an upgrade and allow the user to register and use it, and then, later, take away the upgrade? Just why?). Today, Magix Tech support contacted me, asking me to purchase an upgrade to Photostory version 19.

I told name removed by moderator "I have been very generous with my time: writing out detailed explanations to Magix' Tech support, attaching .jpg images and screen capture movies. It is NOT appropriate for you to tell me to pay for a Photostory upgrade in order to have the [full] functionality of the HEVC codec that I already paid for."

Here is name removed by moderator message, below:

"Dear [Omitted]

Thank you for your message.

I am very sorry that the program does not work as expected. Let me try to help you with the problem.
First of all it is necessary that you have installed the latest version of Photostory. I can see in your customer account that your update service for Photostory expired on September 18. So if the program asks you to extend the update service, I would recommend to do so first. After that you should be able to load all available updates until version 19.0.1.20, the latest one."

--
Thank you for contacting Magix Support.

Best regards,
name removed by moderator

MAGIX Software GmbH
Supportmanager

Postfach 500109
01067 Dresden
Germany

johnebaker wrote on 10/15/2019, 5:09 PM

@cloud_content

Hi

You will see that I have removed the names of the Magix staff you quoted in your post above.

Under Community rule no 9 - Publishing or mentioning the names of MAGIX employees in your posts is not permitted. There is a link at the bottom of each forum page to the Community rules - please read them

If a Magix employee posts within a topic then their username will be available and displayed.

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

shgrude wrote on 10/16/2019, 3:24 AM

@Torben-Jensen

Try running/start PhotoStory Delux in Administrator mode when registering. You will only need to do this for the registration, normal use will not require this.

To start a program in Administrator mode, right-click on the .exe file (or shortcut) and choose "Run as Administrator" (usually there is a shield icon before the menu item).

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bits) OS 19041.450 (2004)
Memory: 64GB
Sound Card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 1920x1080 6GB

Torben-Jensen wrote on 10/16/2019, 8:37 AM

@Torben-Jensen

Try running/start PhotoStory Delux in Administrator mode when registering. You will only need to do this for the registration, normal use will not require this.

To start a program in Administrator mode, right-click on the .exe file (or shortcut) and choose "Run as Administrator" (usually there is a shield icon before the menu item).

HI shgrude.

I have already tried that ! NOT working. ;-(

johnebaker wrote on 10/16/2019, 3:00 PM

@Torben-Jensen, @cloud_content

If you are using Windows Defender as your Antivirus/Firewall then this may be causing the problems you are having with the codecs as a result of a Feature called Protected folders.

To turn this feature off:

1. Open Windows Defender
  2. Select Virus and threat protection
  3. Click Ransomware protection
  4. Set Controlled folder access to off

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/16/2019, 3:02 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Torben-Jensen wrote on 10/17/2019, 9:18 AM

Hi johnebaker.

I am using F-Secure, and tried turning all protections OFF. Run Photostory.exe as Administrator... same, nothing happens ;-(

/ Torben