MP3 error in loading

voters wrote on 12/10/2008, 7:34 AM
Hi there,
I have a problem with loading MP3 files in Version 14.  It comes up saying "this file format not supported. This file cannot be loaded".  It does that with all my mp3 files and yes the file extension is .Mp3.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?  I only have the trial version of 14 and will certainly not purchase it once the 30 days are up if this is going to be a problem.

Regards
Lynette

Comments

Lazerboy wrote on 12/10/2008, 8:32 AM
Dear Lynette,

this seems to be a bug. But I have never heared this before. In some very special cases the mp3 support for encoding is only working after the software is bought, but not to playback it is simply crazy. Do you have installed the latest Windows Media Player and is it playing back these files? Where are the files from? Did you convert them yourselves?

One more question. Did you try to load any other format (.wav) and try to convert it to mp3?
ralftaro wrote on 12/11/2008, 8:29 AM
Hi there,

Most likely a codec issues. Some codecs (or combinations thereof) are known to be troublemakers and somewhat intrusive on the system. They might have been introduced by another program and now obstruct Cleaning Lab, even with something as basic as MP3 import. The more DirectShow codecs/filters you have on your system (e.g. introduced by multi-media applications), the higher the risk that you will experience some kind of software conflict sooner or later. It's a fairly complex issue and unfortunately there's not necessarily an easy practical solution (unless you're willing to reinstall your Windows on a fairly regular basis). I guess what you could try is using the DirectShow tool GraphEdit to analyze the filter graph for MP3 files on your system:

www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_graphedit_141.html

That should show you what codecs are involved in handling MP3 files on your particular system at this point (subject to change if you install further codecs or change the parameters of the existing ones). Maybe, you can pinpoint in this filter graph what codecs are involved. Possibly, a known culprit like ffdshow will pop up. Removing this codec and/or uninstalling the application that introduced it might rectify your MP3 import problem.

I hope this helps...I know it's a little techy...

NoTurning wrote on 12/11/2008, 8:37 AM
Hi,
I would avoid version 14 all together... it's buggy; they've stripped out many features in order to release a second more expensive version and the support is a real problem right now.

Either stick with version 12 (you won't gain much by going to 14) or consider switching to Magix Samplitude Music Studio - a more "professional" product.

You can also download the FREE music software Audacity. It flawlessly works with .MP3 and even allows you to convert to MP3 for FREE - something Magix does not do.

This may not solve your immediate problem but it will help you avoid many future ones,
Justin