Minimizing File (MP4)_ Size to Speed Loading

che422 wrote on 11/12/2010, 8:24 AM

I have a presentation that weighs in at 29 MB. It has some 40 slides and an audio track. It appears to take about 30-60 seconds to load (the file sits on the server that hosts our site -- the host company indicates that it's not a server issue).  Is there a way of "trimming" down the file size? Are there "tricks," such as eliminating certain effects/transitions, or keeping each image to a certain size...thanks in advance. 

Charles

Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 11/13/2010, 3:37 PM

Sorry Charles, I've not got your program, but in the Magix editors (MEP & VPX) all the export movie functions have options for setting resolution and frame rate, as well as many 'Advanced' options.

Is the final display size set by your export dimensions or is it controlled by the web page? No sense exporting a full HD video if it's going to be shown at 320 x 180 pixels. 

As your presentation is a slide show I'd suggest trying a lower frame rate. In theory it could only one frame per slide though you'd obviously need more to keep your transitions smooth.

Just did a quick test of 40 slides -- ten seconds each with short cross fades between:

320 X 240 @ 25 fps, file size 27 MB

320 x 240 @ 12 fps, file size 20 MB; transitions not as smooth but might be acceptable.

320 X 240 @ 2 fps, file size 2.6 MB! Fine for jump cuts only!

Regards,

Carl