MIDI Recording Has Wrong Notes

Johnny-Smith wrote on 1/22/2023, 8:59 PM

Hello, everyone. Thank you in advance for your time. I hope somebody can at least provide ideas or tips. Or, in the best case, provide a solution.

For context, I have a MIDI keyboard connected to my computer by a MIDI-to-USB cable. The problem is that my recordings have the wrong notes 25% of the time a note is pressed.

For example, after I played the Charlie Brown song on the keyboard, when played the recording through Music Maker, 25% of the notes were either missing, or they became the deepest note possible. Several of these "bad" notes were also much longer than they should be.

I tested recording on Cakewalk (free alternative software), and the recording sounded equally bad.

What could be the problem here? I'm expecting to replace one of these: the keyboard (Casio WK-3500), MIDI cable (cheap unbranded cable from Amazon, gifted to me), or the software (Magix Music Maker / Cakewalk). It's likely not my computer, which is a 2022 Legion 5 Pro Windows 11.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 1/22/2023, 9:41 PM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi,

Uhmmm, more practice? 😁

Sorry, too good to pass up.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

emmrecs wrote on 1/23/2023, 3:37 AM

@Johnny-Smith

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

My initial thought is that this is an issue with the MIDI output of your keyboard failing. Do you have another keyboard which you could use to test this, even temporarily borrow one? In my experience the majority of MIDI cables (either DIN to DIN or USB) generally perform well so I would be rather surprised if that was the problem.

If another keyboard doesn't have the problem the solution is clear, a new keyboard is needed! If the other keyboard does exhibit the same thing then, yes, the next thing to check would be the cable, again by testing with a different one.

As to it being a software problem, this is highly unlikely especially since both MM and Cakewalk exhibit the same problem on your computer. MIDI is merely a communication and control protocol using digital data; in my experience it either works properly, or not at all!

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 1/23/2023, 4:55 AM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi

Check the Casio WX3500 is not set to 'split' the keyboard into 2 different tone ranges - see manual p78.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 1/23/2023, 6:03 AM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi,

Kidding aside and further to what Jeff and John EB mentioned, did you try recording just the notes/keys that are giving you problems? Try that. Same result or no problem?

Also, try several recordings of just the parts where there are the most problems. Are the results always the same?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Johnny-Smith wrote on 1/23/2023, 9:05 AM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi

Check the Casio WX3500 is not set to 'split' the keyboard into 2 different tone ranges - see manual p78.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the tip. What manual are you referring to? In the meantime I'll assume the Casio manual.

Jeff / Emmrecs, I appreciate your help. I also suspected it was the keyboard, although I don't have a keyboard to test unless I find a store. I'll consider replacing it. The keyboard has a floppy disk drive, so it's gotta be a bit old, but I wonder why it would fail over time? That would be unfortunate.

John / Browj2, I tested playing the same keys repeatedly. First I tried pressing some random key, and I heard the playback was the same (mostly good but still had approx. 25% random long deep notes). Then I tried playing a simple melody and re-listened to my Charlie Brown recording, and I noticed certain notes went bad frequently. I can't remember if it was 100% likely for a certain note to go bad though. I think it was most of the time but not always. And thanks for the joke!

Johnny-Smith wrote on 1/23/2023, 9:21 AM

@Johnny-Smith

...My initial thought is that this is an issue with the MIDI output of your keyboard failing. Do you have another keyboard which you could use to test this, even temporarily borrow one?...

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Adding to my last message,

I might be able to borrow someone's keyboard. Hopefully! But first, I should check about the splitting that John Baker mentioned.

emmrecs wrote on 1/23/2023, 9:28 AM

@Johnny-Smith

John (@johnebaker) is referring to the Casio manual. I think he may actually mean p76, rather than 78 (having had a look at it online).

I have to admit I haven't seen (or played) a keyboard with a floppy disk drive for a very long time so yes, it certainly is rather old! As to why it would fail over time, my guess would be that some component(s) is/are beginning to fail.

A suggestion to test: if you start at either the highest, or lowest note on your keyboard and slowly go up (or down) in semitones, is there an obvious point /note at which this sudden change of pitch on playback occurs? If so, can you reproduce the change by playing, in semitone steps from a few notes below that point to a few notes above, or vice versa? Does the change still happen?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 1/23/2023, 9:53 AM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi,

Further to what Jeff said, which VST instrument are you using?

Try turning on the on-screen keyboard (K) and playing on your Casio just problem notes. Watch to see if the correct note is played on the on-screen keyboard.

John CB

John C.B.

Johnny-Smith wrote on 1/23/2023, 6:58 PM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi,

Further to what Jeff said, which VST instrument are you using?

Try turning on the on-screen keyboard (K) and playing on your Casio just problem notes. Watch to see if the correct note is played on the on-screen keyboard.

John CB

I studied the on-screen piano while playing the keyboard as you suggested and noticed this:

-All keys appear equally likely to become "bad".

-No matter the velocity

-But if I press a note once (or press and hold and let go) and then wait 3 seconds before pressing again, it never became a super deep note, although it did become "bad" in another way: sustaining itself without being pressed. Any quicker and everything is the same. Although when I played with 2 seconds apart on the high end, only a note an octave lower was recorded, as opposed to the absolute deepest note.

-Playing on the computer's keyboard I get no bad notes.

To define these "bad" notes I'm witnessing: A bad note is one in which I play a certain key on the Casio instrument, and the Music Maker software records usually one of the following:

1. Most often the absolute deepest note;

2 A random note that is deeper but not the absolute deepest;

3. Skipped note (not recorded);

4. Extra-extra-long note of the same frequency;

5. Every bad note is recorded for a much longer time than intended. Sometimes 1-3 seconds, other times it goes on forever.

I appreciate the assistance, everyone. You know, this 76-key Casio keyboard is really good in all other aspects, except for this MIDI recording stuff. It's almost perfect. (Assuming the instrument is at fault.)

Johnny-Smith wrote on 1/23/2023, 7:06 PM

...which VST instrument are you using?

John CB

I don't know what VST means and I don't know how to check. Right now I have open either my second or third ever "project"; I stopped the active recording to the first track (named Piano VSTi); and I created a third track that is actively recording my MIDI keyboard.

Trying to be as informative as possible at the expense of conciseness

browj2 wrote on 1/23/2023, 9:22 PM

@Johnny-Smith

Hi,

That is strange.

See these for VSTi Essentials:

After that, try another instrument. As you'll see in the tutorial, you should have DN-e1 and you can try Keyboards (category) with Electric Piano (patch).

See if you get the same result. Also, give us some of your bad notes that we can try. Use the letters/numbers for the octaves, like C1, D1, etc.

John CB

John C.B.